System Folder

jack_loves_Macs

Registered
I have a 40 Gb boot drive and some time ago I installed a 160Gv drive. Now that I have an IPod I find my main drive filling with MP3s. (should have installed the system on the larger drive, I know.)

Question: Is it possible to drag the OX system folder and possibly the Appications folder to 160Gb drive, assign it to boot from that drive and after it does, delete the system from the 40Gb drive?
Or
Do I have to do an install from the installation disks?

Thanks for any info.

What, and leave the Library folder behind?

You can't just drag the System folder over because there are numerous little pieces spread over your drive that wouldn't go with it. You'd have to do a reinstall.

But why do you want to move your system anyway? You can reassign your default iTunes Music folder to anything you want. Move all your tunes to the other drive, not your system, because reinstalling would lose all your settings.

You can use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the 40Gb drive to the 160Gb drive and make it bootable. It will be an exact copy of the 40Gb drive. Then you can wipe the 40Gb drive.

Well, dragging it over won't work simply because there are a lot of invisible files stored in the root of the hard drive that wouldn't copy. Also (correct me if I'm wrong) I believe copying something changes the ownership of the object to you (the user) so doing with this system files would be a no-no.
Carbon Copy Cloner should work fine though

Thanks to all. Actually moving the iTunes folder was fairly easy. Now I have lots of room for MP3s. I have also down-loaded Carbon Copy Cloner just in case I decide to move the system to the larger drive.

Back