takes too long to shutdown

mead

Registered
It is taking lot of time to shutdown after i hit shutdown. Why is it taking so long? what do i need to do?

OS X.2
Powerbook G4
768 MB RAM
20GB

It takes 5 minutes to shutdown

:confused: Umm we need more info than that, please:

- What OS version?
- What computer model, RAM, processor, and hard disk?

You could always issue:
sudo shutdown now
from the terminal.

This would shut your computer down immediately. (But of course, I wouldn't recommend doing this often or habitually. It may be a temporary solution for you until you get the problem tracked down.)

MacFreak88, boi is right, look at the time of my post, and the time of the last edit. There were no system specs there at the time of my posting; "What do I need to do?" was the last line (I'm not that dumb :p ).

But that's not the point of this thread....

Mead, that is very strange! You seem to have a pretty powerful system, and 5 minutes is a heck of a long time to shut down.

Have you tried these (don't know how much they'll help though):
- Defragmenting.
- fsck (maybe you have a filesystem problem somewhere) in single-user mode (boot holding down COMMAND-S then enter fsck -y when you get a prompt).
- Any peripherals? If you have any periperals attached (like a camera or a hard disk or anything) disconnect them all and then try to shut down and see if the problem persists.
- Does your hard disk try to sleep during shutdown (you'll have to go into a quiet room and listen for this); maybe your power management settings are corrupted somehow (happened to me once).

Do you have only one partition, or do you have separate partitions for swapping or download or anything like that? If so, are all your system files and system-referenced files (like your home folder) on your system partition?

Another thing you can do (probably the most useful), depending on how familiar you are with the BSD subsystem, is to boot into "verbose mode" (boot holding down COMMAND-V) and then shut down once the system is booted. This will replace the nice Aqua boot and shutdown screens with a BSD dump that you can look at (the Finder will still appear once booted). If it issues a command and then hangs for 5 minuntes, and then continues, you've found your culprit.

Thank you for all the replies. I am going to archive and install the OS. If the problem still exists, I will try each of these operations. Thanks again

I wouldn't suggest that!

It seems that everyone's response (in GENERAL, not just here) to a problem they don't find immediately is to reinstall everything.

True, sometimes that is the only solution, but it should be a last resort. But in many cases (like this one) if you find that it's a third-party driver or daemon that's causing the problem you will have wasted much time for nothing because the problem will persist after anyway.

Try at least booting to Verbose mode before you reinstall... ;)

boot with APPLE-V and shut down and see what happens...

Also,
the partitions on my hard drive are as follows:

13GB - Macos X.2 and 9.2.2
2GB - OS 9.2.2
5GB - Data

Is that an optimal partition? what do u guys think?

Does that mean you have 2 independant Classic system folders installed? That's probably not helping anything. What's your reason for having 2 classic environments?

My system (/System, /Library, /Applications, not includign the BSD system stuff) is only 3.75 GB, so I assume your swap file and user home folders and applications (OS X) are also on that 13GB partition?

Also, did you run the updater for Jaguar, or did you do a clean install?

It is usually a good idea to have a separate volume for Classic and for OS X, but I don't think you'd really need a separate partition for data, unless it makes your life easier say, to share things on a LAN (i.e., you put your shared stuff on that volume and don't let people touch your system volumes, which is rather clever).

Did you try the verbose shutdown? It's gonna hang somewhere...

Back