Telnet send backspace

Gnomo

Registered
I am not a very good typer, so I almost always type wrong keys. Normally this isn't really a problem, but in telnet I cannot use the backspace.

When I press the delete key I get a ^H instead. I have searched and searched, but I cannot find any way to make this delete the last character.

Anyone know what needs to be set to get the backspace functionality to work?

This is caused by the tty settings of the remote system. You can adjust this with the stty command. In your case:

stty erase

Now after "erase" type a space and then hit the backspace key, then hit return. This way, you specify that the backspace key will be associated with the "erase" tty function.

Thanks rhg.

I just have one more question.

When I start telnet, but before I connect, I still cannot backspace. Is there a way to fix that?

Here is an example of what my telnet session might look like:

[my-computer:~]gnomo%telnet -K
telnet> open cgi.mydomin^H^H
cgi.mydomin No address associated with node name

I don't think so, but usually the Delete key (the one by Home and End - I forget what the key is called since I'm at work on a PC) will work there.

At the Login/Password prompts, the systems did not yet handshake the terminal type, so the remote terminal is unknown. Instead of the backspace key, use the # which will have the same effect. I.e. "abc#de" will result in "abde".

Back