textedit won't run

mose1983

Registered
I'm not sure when this started happening, but if I attempt to open textedit or a .txt file that calls it .. it bounces once or twice on the dock, then just disappears. Any ideas?

You could try to move your preferences for textedit out and see if that was the problem.

Look in your home foler under Library-->Preferences for a file called com.apple.TextEdit.plist

move that file out to the desktop, then try to launch textedit. It should create a fresh preference fle. If it didn't help, you can move the old one back in if you want.

I looked through the libraries and did a search in finder for such a file and don't show that I have one. I'm not sure I have ever successfully opened TextEdit since doing a clean install of Jaguar a few weeks ago.

Well that would explain why there's no prefs. :(

I'm by no means an expert here, but another thing you could check is 'About this Mac'...the first thing under the apple-menu.

Then click 'More', which should open the Apple System Profiler... it takes a minute to look at your computer, then there will be window with a bunch of tabs.

The right-most tab will be 'Logs' which might have an error report of some sort in there for TextEdit. Check it out and see if it says anything that looks useful.

I think at this point you might want to start considering a re-install from the cd unless someone else chimes in with other advice.

Try fsck -y .. starting the mac, hold down apple-s keys and then run fsck -y
It could fix the corrupted permissions etc - those could cause the textedit not to work. :-/

I ran fsck -y and it said a minor change had been made to the volume header but textedit is still ornery. Thanks for the ideas though.

Back