Tft screen problem

mikrei

Registered
I'm planning to buy my first tft screen (18"-21") but I don't know how to choose one! Any recommendations? What things should I notice about those when I go to store?

I need that for graphic designing and sometimes for games. Is it true that apples 20" is better than 23"? I use this screen with my Pb so I if I buy Apples screen I have to buy an adapter and it's pretty expensive. So propably some other what does not need any.

Thanks for help!

That old saying, 'you get what you pay for' seems to hold true on the LCDs.

I haven't seen many that I could say hands down are better than the Apple ones. The one or two I have seen which were better actually costed more and I don't think the extra money would have been well spent as the difference was very, very slight. There were a couple which were somewhat even, but they costs pretty much the same as the Apple ones (Apple was in the middle of them.).

When I finally decide to by that G5, I'll be adding a 23HD to the order (unless Steve gives us a bigger one by then <G>).

If you look at non-Apple LCDs, things to look for are:

- the pixel response time (not the frequency like you would for a CRT, but rather how fast the pixels can change state). this affects how much "ghosting" you see when playing fast games. most good LCDs don't seem to show this problem as much anymore.
- range of brightness
- contrast ratio (also check to see if you can change the contrast of the display, that comes in handy, I don't thinks Apple's do)

keep in mind that for the most part, LCDs only look great at their native resolution, so if you play a lot of games at say 640x480, they will look like crap on a 20" LCD if you play at full screen.

btoth said:
keep in mind that for the most part, LCDs only look great at their native resolution, so if you play a lot of games at say 640x480, they will look like crap on a 20" LCD if you play at full screen.

True dat!

Also, if you can swing this, try to get someone at the store to plug in your monitor (I mean the one you'll be taking home in your hands) and look for dead pixels. Alternatively, ask what their dead pixel policy is.

Apple, for example, won't do anything unless there are at least 5 dead pixels (I think, I'm not sure). That was kind of a drag for me when I spent 2500 $ on my iMac to find a few dead pixels that they wouldn't do squat to fix...

PS http://a736.g.akamai.net/7/736/51/baab43b54c8e2f/www.apple.com/displays/pdf/L26122A_Displays_TO.pdf

Back