The Browser Thread

googolplex

jeff.hume.ca
I have noticed that recently a large portion of the discussion in Mac Hot Topics and General Discussion has be directed towards browsers.

"My browser is better then your browser!"
"Your browser is ugly"
"How do I do this in this browser"
"When is this browser going to be released"
"What is this browser's new name"
"AOL IS GOING TO KILL US ALL!!!!" :D

etc.

I also end up replying to the same question over and over in many different threads. The other day I was talking to simx in 2 browser threads simultaneously.

Therefor I propose 'The Browser Thread' for all your browser discussing (and bashing) needs.

GO! :D

I really like the concept behind Mozilla and I love the tabs, but it just doesn't cut it for me. I need Windows Media files to work within the browser. I also need to use my own mail.app when I click on an email link. Mozilla also seems sluggish to me, not rendering, but the app itself is slow(er).

And like many of you, it will be a happy day for me when Chimera 1.0 is released. :D

I use IE. I've just gotten used to all the keystrokes. But I'll probably eventually switch to Chimera.:D

I really like the look of OmniWeb. But it's slow. I like the tabbed browsing of Mozilla. But it is unstable. I really like the stability of IE. But that's the only thing I like about IE.

I don't like Chimera -- only because I couldn't use it for more than five minutes without it crashing.

I don't like Opera -- it's still in Alpha stage on OS X (missing functionality up the wazoo :) )

Argh. I'm in IE right now -- it's missing keyboard conformity. For example, I tried to highlight a line to delete it. CTRL-Shift-LeftArrow highlighted the space to the left. The single space. Then there's the "I'm editing my message in a text box, which was partially of the screen. When my text went off the screen, IE didn't scroll down to put the whole text box on the screen like some other (read: good) browsers do" complaint. :)

I'd be willing to pay for a good browser. My ideal browser would look like OmniWeb (and have the same Carbon in-page spell check), be as quick as Mozilla (with tabbed browsing, as I said), and be as stable as OS X itself.

Not asking for much, huh?

And your wish shall be granted. Mozilla 1.0 will be finished very soon. Look at the latest nightly builds. OmniWeb 5.0 development has already started, while 4.1 is being finished (get on the OmniWeb mailing list). And I'm sure Microsoft is readying the next release of Internet Explorer for the Macintosh for Mac OS 10.2 already. Just wait for the future...

OK, this is the very shortened version of what I've said on two other browser threads:

I'm currently using OmniWeb because the interface is by far the best, but I sometimes get annoyed by the speed and the lack of support for the standards (JavaScript, Flash, CSS, etc.) Mozilla is really fast, and I love the tabs, but the interface and bookmark system suck. IE just COMPLETELY sucks. I used to use IE when OmniWeb wouldn't display a page correctly, but now I use Mozilla for that, so I've FINALLY stopped using IE! :D I think Chimera and OmniWeb have the most potential, but I think by the time Chimera is usable, OmniWeb 4.1 final will be out, which is going to beat out every OS X browser UNLESS Chimera 0.2 is truly amazing. :)

Adam

Back