Thinking about using liquid sand paper on my iPod screen....

Fahrvergnuugen

I am the law!
Has anyone else tried this?

I was driving my 911 home [upstate ny] from north carolina over the weekend and all of a sudden a truck tire seperated in front of me. i slamed on the brakes and swerved...my iPod went for a bit of a ride.

the screen isn't really scratched, its more like a scuff...which is actually worse to look at but probably easier to fix.

On small air planes, the windows are made of plastic. They get all scuffed up and blurry, and to fix them, you start out by using sand paper then gradually work your way up through all of the different grades until the last grade, this liquid sanding solution. the windows come out crystal clear.

Or maybe I can have the plastic part replaced by apple? Any thoughts?

Look for any one of a number of brands of plastic polish - there ought to be a few available in your neighborhood(s) & price range (911 - vintage or more contemporary??). You might even have a tube of something I've used to recover scratched CD's before, well known to the motorcycle crowd, called Simichrome. Pink stuff in a tube that smells strongly of ammonia, does a great job on most hard plastics like Lexan polycarbonate & Plexiglass acrylic.

Just don't make the mistake of using paper towel to polish the scratch out; most are much more abrasive that folks think & you'll do more harm than good. A nice, well-worn & freshly washed cotton t-shirt works the best for me.

Store?

Good question...

If I'd been over your way sometime since 1985 I probably would have a name or two...

Since you seem to cover quite a bit of ground in a short time, I'm sure there's a few places you pass on your way to or from your usual haunts that carry Simichrome. My best shot would be to try a few motorcycle accessory or model / hobby places; the latter are less comon than a few years ago but they're still out there. Don't discount the possibility that there are other brands of plastic polish available either; you just have to look around.

You could also try a Google search & just enter "Simichrome" - I did & came up with something like 100 URL's where it's mentioned... one of which is

http://www.rufkahrs.com/hardw4/chem1.html

so you might just find a place that sells it down the street where you live.

Eeeeeyooowp! Nice shots.

I "test drove" one of the original 911's back in '67 & managed to put it backwards into a snowdrift; I admit my preference for FWD. At that time I was wheeling around in a '65 1275S Mini Cooper.

My boss has an '02 Carerra & I cringe when I think of him driving it (at best) maybe 8 or nine miles one-way to the office from home, twice a day.

Just past 3800 miles today in my latest - an '03 Cooper S! Did 5 years in a Grand Voyager just before. If I can find a server somewhere to upload an image or two to I'll get it washed (filthy driving cars around here - Chicago area - this time of year) & take a few & post 'em.

Good luck with your iPod. I gather you also run Macs (since you seem to like hot & fast hardware!)?

Mini S's rock! great taste.

And yes, I run mac hardware as well...though i won't be upgrading for a while. I'm coming to the realization that you can't have ALL the toys ;)

Meguire's makes a line of plastic polish for plastic car windows which should work fine at removing small scratches from the iPod's display. The most course is #17 (Meguire's numbers all their products but in no particular order), #10 is less course and #18 is pretty much just a cleaner. I've also heard of people taking bigger scratches out with their #1 Fine Cut Cleaner for paint but I have never tried it. Whatever grit you decide to use you'll need the finer grits too since, just like airplane windows you need to work your way down.

From what you describe you're problem as I suspect you'll be fine with #10. If that doesn't work try the #17.

You should be able to find their products at auto parts stores and auto body paint supply stores.

- Alan (Miata owner and iMac owner)

Meguire's makes a line of plastic polish for plastic car windows which should work fine at removing small scratches from the iPod's display. The most course is #17 (Meguire's numbers all their products but in no particular order), #10 is less course and #18 is pretty much just a cleaner. I've also heard of people taking bigger scratches out with their #1 Fine Cut Cleaner for paint but I have never tried it. Whatever grit you decide to use you'll need the finer grits too since, just like airplane windows you need to work your way down.

From what you describe you're problem as I suspect you'll be fine with #10. If that doesn't work try the #17.

You should be able to find their products at auto parts stores and auto body paint supply stores.

- Alan (Miata owner and iMac owner)

Back