This is so cool!

downloading now, hope it's something like what we saw in Jurassic Park, where the girl says "It's a UNIX system, I know this cause I'm a hacker" and it's this futuristic 3D system...

Originally posted by voice-
downloading now, hope it's something like what we saw in Jurassic Park, where the girl says "It's a UNIX system, I know this cause I'm a hacker" and it's this futuristic 3D system...

As I recall that was a demo file browser in Irix 4.x that wasn't included with Irix 5.x or 6.x. There is a cool demo browser with Irix 5/6 called Button Fly, where if you click on a button it fly up and flips over to reveal other buttons underneath.

Attachments

• buttonfly.jpg
    buttonfly.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 91
racer I envy you :D
you have all the nice toys ;)

I am downloading that now, lets see if its cool enough to keep ;)

It's definately cool enough to keep. I see only 2 drawbacks. No favorites and no way to trash files.

Hi,

the piece of software used in Jurassic Park was the "file system navigator" and could be downloaded from SGI's homepage. I found it completely useless, but it does look really cool!

Sorry for outing myself as a "command line" and "regular expression" type of guy! *g*

Chris

Found it! The information says that it should work on Irix 5.3 and before, and I have two 5.3 systems, so I'll give it a try. It turns out to only work in 4, I'm not going to redo an entire system for it though. Here is an image that was with the discription (hopefully my shots are going to be better :D ).

By the way, anyone have any shots of the browser this thread is about yet?

Attachments

• fsn.map2.jpg
    fsn.map2.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 64
Watching Jurassic Park you burst out laughing when the little girl goes: "This is Unix! I know how to use this!"

-B

That is too funny! :D

At least she didn't jump onto the Quadra 700 sitting there next to the SGI Crimson RealityEngine and say the same thing. :rolleyes:

(Of course considering the time period, that Quadra could have been running A/UX for all we know :eek: )

I finally got around to installing that 3D browser for Irix on one of my SGIs (wow, that only took me about 10 days, I usually put stuff off for much longer :D ). I can see where it is not as useful as browsing via standard windows (the windowing system in Irix is not all that different from the classic Mac OS, which is because they had at one time hoped to compete directly with the Mac OS in the areas of graphic design and desktop publishing). Any how, here is what it looked like on my system.

Attachments

• sgi_3d-browser.jpg
    sgi_3d-browser.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 41
Back