Tiger "archive & install" questions

Morgan19

Registered
I'm currently running 10.3.9 on a G5 and am going to install Tiger in the next couple of days, but have a few questions first. I understand there's an "archive & install" option, but I'm curious as to what that actually archives. In other words, after I archive my current system and install Tiger, will I just be able to go into the Mac HD somewhere and pull the files I want back into their "regular" spots? I'm thinking along the lines of applications currently in Applications, a folder I have on my desktop for website files, etc. Will those be accessible and movable after the install?

Thanks!
m19

Thanks for the link. If I understand all that correctly, it sounds like files on my desktop *will* be saved, as that's technically under the Users subfolder.

m19

everything that's personalised about the computer generally resides in the Home folder, in which is your settings, for your desktop, as well as other users.

Thanks for the advice, guys. I did an A&I this morning and within a half-hour or so I was up and running again, without missing a beat.

m19

I've come across one oddity, though. The A&I went flawlessly except now I'm having trouble with Photoshop opening files externally. PSDs are still associated with Photoshop CS and when I double-click them in a Finder window it starts up PS, but the files don't actually open. If I do File > Open from within PS they open fine, but double-clicking from the Finder doesn't: PS comes to the front but the file doesn't open unless I do it within the program.

Apart from re-installing Creative Suite, which may or may not even fix the problem, is there anything I can try?

m19

I've been searching, thanks. But the last time I checked, a message board is there as a resource: if someone else happens to know the answer off the top of their head and has the patience and courtesy to help out politely, why not?
Thanks.

m19

I'm just sayin', z'all.
It took me 2 minutes in both cases to find and post documentation for each question.
Sorry for the 'tude.

I went to Apple's knowledge base and I went to Adobe's Photoshop knowledge base and searched both for the same keywords: "archive and install"

Forums are (generally :p ;) ) fun, and you can get some very creative solutions to problems sometimes, but you are better off going to the source first. Then, if there is seemingly no solution there, Forum users can suggest some stuff to try.

Again, sorry for the 'tude. Happy Pshopping!

Back