Tiger comes on DVD ?!

AdmiralAK

Simply Daemonic
I bought tiger for my powerbook from apple.com yesterday (it has a superdrive so I am not worried).

My dept is planning on buying tiger for the macs in our department. One problem - the dark-blue G4s that we have dont have a DVD drive (jsut CD-RW). Does 10.4 come with just a DVD disc for install, or does the package include CDs as well. If its just DVD, anyway to make a special order?

AdmiralAK said:
I bought tiger for my powerbook from apple.com yesterday (it has a superdrive so I am not worried).

My dept is planning on buying tiger for the macs in our department. One problem - the dark-blue G4s that we have dont have a DVD drive (jsut CD-RW). Does 10.4 come with just a DVD disc for install, or does the package include CDs as well. If its just DVD, anyway to make a special order?
You can get Tiger on CD for an additional $10.

Also, i heard somewhere that Tiger can be installed (on a unsupported machine) if you install from a support machine in target disk mode. I read it here.

This truly makes upgrading any non-DVD Mac a royal pain in the butt. I took the extreme measure and ordered an external DVD-RW drive; to me, this signifies that all future OS releases will come on DVD only as well as other software bundles (yeah I'm lookin' at you, iLife).

It's a tough day when you come to the realization your Mac is behind-the-times and needs additional hardware to function properly.

themacko said:
This truly makes upgrading any non-DVD Mac a royal pain in the butt. I took the extreme measure and ordered an external DVD-RW drive; to me, this signifies that all future OS releases will come on DVD only as well as other software bundles ....
Wow, they can't get anything past you.

lol. That was mean, but funny.

Well, we all knew this day would come, eh? Though, I thought Windows would reach it sooner than Apple...

Are they every going to try and shed all of the BSD leftovers? For instance, I think there's a command-line tetris program as well as some other things... If they got rid of those, would that shed any fat?

how DO you access the command line tetris game ? :D

I need to find me some firewire cables to install tiger on the tower when the tiger shipment comes in :D I think this might be the last, or next to last OS X update for this machine

adambyte said:
lol. That was mean, but funny.

Well, we all knew this day would come, eh? Though, I thought Windows would reach it sooner than Apple...

Are they every going to try and shed all of the BSD leftovers? For instance, I think there's a command-line tetris program as well as some other things... If they got rid of those, would that shed any fat?

Shed the BSD leftovers? OS X is very much a BSD system. All the cool things they're adding with new releases - many of those are additional things imported from newer BSD versions. They're constantly updating the FreeBSD goodness in OS X.

I don't think there is a console tetris included. If you want one, you can get it from www.netris.org.

lol, no, no, I didn't mean get rid of the operating system stuff itself, I meant crap like tetris.

I read it in MacAddict, and played it, once. There's a bunch of UNIX apps just hanging around in Mac OS X, including a Tetris game, and at least a few other things.

The tetris game that comes on the terminal is part of emacs. Now why isn't that surprising :rolleyes: ?

You're not really going to shave off much by removing the BSD user land tools. If you completely removed emacs, you'd save 30 MB and emacs is the absolutely largest tool by far.

A lot of the stuff is printer drivers. You'll be surprised by the sheer amount of printers that are supported by OS X right out of the box. What's even more amazing, is that each printer has it's own icon in the dock! My Lexmark Optra T has an icon that looks like the printer. Ditto for my Epson C62.

Then you have all the localizations that are present. A fresh install of Tiger together with all the developer tools and every possible option took 5 GB. Not bad at all, if I may say so.

I did not install everything on my powerbook :) - I left xcode out since I do not do much developin' now :) I really do wish that greek was fully localized out of the box though :D

Um. if you have several G4s with CD-RW, why not do a network install? or simpler, use Disk Utility to create an image of a newer machine with Tiger, and then "Restore" it onto the others via LAN/FW??

net install eh - I never thought about that! :D
to ask an even stupider question (and I will head off to apple's TIL to find out the answer to it, but I will ask anyway) - how do I netinstall ? :D

* grabs coat & fedora and heads for the Tech info library **

Back