Tips for a new mac

billsmith26

Registered
I have always had a Windows based PC, but recently purchased a Mac Book Pro. As you can imagine, Im having some trouble figuring out how to use this thing. First off, is there no word processor on this $3000 machine?!?! Secondly, I havent been able to figure out how to burn a DVD. Any tips yall can give me about those two things I would appreciate. That seems to be all I can think of at the moment, but agian I dont now much about Mac's at all (it took 4 days for me to learn how to copy & paste agian) so any tips or information that would help me get the most out of my new computer would be appreciated.

NeoOffice is a great alternative to MS Office and it's free. You can also purchase MS Office if you really want that, but remember that most of what everyone usually does in MS Office can be accomplished in NeoOffice as well.

And while it might not have a suite like office, there is a word processor in there called TextEdit. It saves files in RTF, HTML, PDF, and DOC formats. It's a really simple word processor like WordPad, but has more features than WordPad.

As for DVD burning, that depends. If you're trying to create a DVD with home movies, then iDVD would be the app to use (and it's included with your Mac). As for burning documents and other files for backup, you can do that right from the Finder desktop. Just insert the DVD disc and drag and drop your files in, then open up the disc and within the window you'll find a button labeled "burn disc." Click that and the files will burn to the DVD.

Back