It will ask you your admin Password
then go back to the menu :Domain->Security->Enable Root user
it will tell you that you need to reauthenticate to make any changes
Quit the Application
"The root user is activated"

Now you need to go in "System Preferences" and locate "Login"
Select "Login Window"
Make sure to select "Name and password entry feilds"
also Automatically log in should be off.

Log out and in the username feild just type "root"
and your password when prompt

You are now logged as a root user with SUPER POWER over your Mac OS X
Use them wisely.

-Sighter

Very, very wisely indeed. People tend to want to be logged in as root all the time, which you shouldn't do.

As 'the UN*X pro' you ain't logged in as root. You may need root ACCESS, but you've got that in the Terminal, anyway.

I remember the days when I - as root on my Rhapsody DR 2 system back then - dragged my System HD to the trash (which was in the workspace browser window, in each one, there was no dock) to see what would happen. Well, go figure - my system was done for good.

But that's a long time ago, I lost some important files and am NOT logged in as root now, ever.

Do you really _have_ to repeat the errors of others? ;)

And I did not intend to suggest to use this on a daily based loggin option

But from time to time when you need to reset some restrictions
I think it can be usefull to know how to log as a root user...

And dont worry I will not argue with you 'cose I am not knowly
enough in unix... ( but I want to learn )

BTW: Sorry for your system...

Thanx for your input

-Sighter

Unless you absolutely must, for some very, very good reason.

There's a reason why Apple ships systems with the root user disabled. It is for security reasons (from without and within). Enabling root is a large security risk for attack and for users to shoot themselves in the foot.

You should be able to get by in the command line with:
sudo (almost all of the time)
sudo -s (very infrequently)

From the GUI, you can use a program called "Skeleton Key" (http://www.spectralclass.com/software/skeleton.php) or another one called "Pseudo" (http://personalpages.tds.net/~brian_hill/pseudo.html) to access the Finder and other supported programs with root/administrator privileges.

Alternately, TinkerTool allow you to show hidden system files if you just need to browse for hidden files in the GUI. (http://www.bresink.de/osx/TinkerTool2.html)

You can also enable root from the Terminal (my prefered method).

sudo passwd root

You will be prompted for a password. Enter your admin password.
Enter the password you want for root.
Verify the password.

Then do the System Preferences Login pane step from Sighter's first post.

Back up the file your going to mess with before you mess with it (system files) thats a big MUST

(just use copy and paste on the file. it's that easy)

Originally posted by Sighter
BTW: Sorry for your system...

Oh, don't be. ;)

That system was a PowerMacintosh 9500 with a 200 MHz G2 (604e) processor, running Rhapsody DRs and Mac OS X Server afterwards. Nowadays it samples dust somewhere in the back of my apartment. It also has the 'ability' to crash randomly, which I think has to do with the RAM. Wow, what I've paid for that total of 128 MB at that time... :p

Btw. I've found something today installing the final version of Jaguar: I trashed my system by trying to install my favourite OS X theme. Of course (because the .rsrc file structure changed) this was a very bad idea. Finder couldn't be restarted - along with any other app. But when I wanted to reinstall my computer, I thought 'What the heck, let's _update_ the OS that is on the harddisk!' and guess what: The installer checked what files needed to be updated and repaired my system. Gotta love Apple...

Back