to use my new $200 ipod i need to buy a $130 operating system?

professorhess

Registered
i have 10.3.9 but the ipod says it needs 10.4.9 to run and i just can't seem to wrap my head around this.
are there "alternative" ways of getting 10.4?
please help

Unfortunately you have to get 10.4, since 10.3 is pretty old, a little more than 4 years old. And the iTunes needed for the ipod also requires 10.4. There are no alternative ways that are legal to get 10.4. If you have Windows XP or later you can do it.

i have 10.3.9 but the ipod says it needs 10.4.9 to run and i just can't seem to wrap my head around this.
are there "alternative" ways of getting 10.4?
please help
You mean like pirating it?
I notice on the Apple store site that all the ipod adds state the 10.4.8 or higher requirement.
So why does this come as a surprise to some?

jb.

Because people don't expect the iPod to require a particular version of the Mac operating system. Do you, personally, *ALWAYS* read requirements. You _never_ expect something to simply work, out of the box? There was a time when Apple was proud about things working out of the box. Nowadays when you buy an iPod, you have to meet the minimum requirements for hardware (USB 2.0), operating system (XP sp2 or Tiger) and iTunes (which you have to download yourself). Btw.: If you have a popup-blocker on IE for Windows, chances are iTunes will never even download, because someone (stupid) at Apple decided that Windows users (and *ONLY* Windows users, apparently) want a window to pop up before the download starts.

Besides: If you go to a *real world* store and say you want an iPod, they sell it to you. And the small print about the system requirements really _is_ small print.

All that said: Yes, you do need 10.4.8 or higher for new iPods.

Because people don't expect the iPod to require a particular version of the Mac operating system. Do you, personally, *ALWAYS* read requirements. You _never_ expect something to simply work, out of the box? There was a time when Apple was proud about things working out of the box. Nowadays when you buy an iPod, you have to meet the minimum requirements for hardware (USB 2.0), operating system (XP sp2 or Tiger) and iTunes (which you have to download yourself). Btw.: If you have a popup-blocker on IE for Windows, chances are iTunes will never even download, because someone (stupid) at Apple decided that Windows users (and *ONLY* Windows users, apparently) want a window to pop up before the download starts.

Besides: If you go to a *real world* store and say you want an iPod, they sell it to you. And the small print about the system requirements really _is_ small print.

All that said: Yes, you do need 10.4.8 or higher for new iPods.
Yes some things I expect to work right out of the box, such as a toaster or even a new TV set.
But when it comes to computer accessories, I tend to "always" read the system requirements.

jb

I think we all live these "minimum" requirements issues with great frustration. After all when we buy we are happy and looking forwards to some fun. So small text, like Apple uses - and other too - is a real frustration.

However, concerning the OSX version, with the recent availability of 10.5 I would not be surprised if owners of 10.4 would be more than happy to unload - maybe even for free - their Tiger software.

I didn't realize that, but indeed it's surprizing that you need 10.4 to run a new iPod.

It's probably an indirect need: the new iPod needs the new iTunes and the new iTunes needs 10.4, but that's really not what I expect from Apple. I had the same issue trying to install iLife on my father's G5 iMac. He is running 10.3 and this is not compatible with iPhoto'08.

Well they have to draw the line somewhere. Supporting 10.3 means they can't add some features to iTunes because they have to rely on old APIs and no new ones. Should the iPod work with OS 9? 10.1? 10.3 isn't that old but Apple has said a very high number of their users are on 10.4 already(I think 3/4 or more) so for them it's an easy choice but I realize some people don't have newer computers to support 10.4

Yes but professorhess never said what type of mac they are using. If it is running Mac OS X 10.3 then they should check out apple.com to see the compatibilty. They can also go to lowendmac to check for prices on Tiger. It should be less than $129 by now.

Well they have to draw the line somewhere. Supporting 10.3 means they can't add some features to iTunes because they have to rely on old APIs and no new ones. Should the iPod work with OS 9? 10.1? 10.3 isn't that old but Apple has said a very high number of their users are on 10.4 already(I think 3/4 or more) so for them it's an easy choice but I realize some people don't have newer computers to support 10.4

I agree with drawing a line somewhere... but to just manage/sync a library of MP3s, a 5 years old computer (with its original system and all its free updates) should be able to do it, no ?

It starts with 'b' and ends in 't' and has 'it torren' in the middle.
Personally, I dont like to pirate operating systems. (Apart from windows)

Back