Transparent Desktop Images

Ah well... We did this years ago with the first digicams we had. Fun, but not _that_ special...

I find it pretty cool and amusing

Can you let me know how to do it as I'd like to try for the fun ?

thanks

Take a picture of whatever sits behind your screen, then set that as the desktop picture. Nothing to it. You just have to make sure to line the screen up correctly for it to look right.

Of course it works from ONE angle and one angle only. So basically it's only for then taking another snapshot of it with the lines aligned. As soon as you, say, move a little closer with your chair, things move off...

I've seen these using CRTs before, but I htink the LCDs/Laptops have a cooler look because it seems more possible in real life.

It also helps if you get the coloring just right. In some of these shots, the white balance seems to be off, so some of the shots don't look realistic.

A slight blur might help, too... OR: A real holographic display and an OS with real 3D support. ;) Ah, well: Have fun. :p

So couldn't you use an iSight to create a similar but LIVE effect? Maybe not the whole desktop, but at least a decent sized square in the middle could be a live iSight/webcam shot (mounted on the back of your LCD screen), yeah? I mean, people have hacked OS X so that you can use screen savers as backgrounds, seems like maybe you could do the same with an iSight...?

Looks neat. The multi-layer ones are especially fun (like the cinema display though a Powerbook through an iPod photo).

but whyyyyy!!! :D
i dont know why but this makes me think of the old classic desktop background that looked (kind of) like a green logicboard or something (this was before everything strived to look photorealistic).

The sad part for me was i just quickly glanced at it and i thought it was real. Rather sad.

Its pretty mad however some of them are just slightly off but the rest of are pretty dam awesome. Good idea i wonder who came up with it....

It'd be neat if you could hook up an iSight, point it backwards, and have a "live" image as your desktop, showing whatever's behind the computer.

Of course, it's even easier to fake a picture of:

Take 2 pictures of your desk - 1 with the laptop there, 1 without. Make sure the camera does not move AT ALL between photos (a tripod helps).

In photoshop, layer the two pictures, the laptop image over the non-laptop image.

Use the erase tool to remove whatever was REALLY showing in the laptop's screen area, allowing the other picture to show through.

Back