Unable to connect wirelessly

stephikindred

Registered
I recently upgraded to OSX Snow Leopard, and since then I have had issues connecting wirelessly with Airport. My son has a newer Macbook and can connect with no issues, so it must be something with my MacBook settings. Any ideas?

Open System Preferences->Network (System Preferences is in your Dock). At the top of the Network pane select the "Location" bar and create a new custom Location (calling it what you want), then hit the apply button at the bottom of the pane.

Lastly while still in the Network pane in the left column highlight your Airport card. Use that window to select the Advanced button and in the drop down window. Click on the + symbol to put in your information to join your wireless network.

Doing this will reset you wireless setting and should fix your problem.

Good Luck.

I checked my settings against my son's and noticed his AirPort ID is different than mine. When I try to select the Network Name that matches my son's, it will not allow me to click the Apply button. When I go to Network Diagnostics, my Airport settings are failing. Any ideas on how to reset my Airport ID, and whether this is the problem?

So when you go into go to join the wireless network are you using the same settings as your sons and it won't take it?

The Airport ID? Do you mean the wireless network name with security setting you are trying to join?

Yes, I am trying to use the same settings, although it will not allow me to select the same Network Name, so I clicked the Advanced button, and there is where I noticed that the Airport ID is different on mine than his. Mine shows 00:17:f2:e7:04:12. I don't know how to edit it so it shows the same as his. I have never had a problem connecting wirelessly until I installed Snow Leopard. My son's came with the software already installed and his connects fine. I also have a PC used for work and it is able to connect wirelessly as well. I am really puzzled as to what has changed with my settings.

That airport ID is the MAC address of you internal airport card. The only way to make that match is to install your sons airport card into your machine (if compatible) and then your machine will have his actual airport ID (unless you spoof the MAC address somehow). But regardless, that has no bearing on your connection. I would check the router for any MAC address filtering that may have been set up to allow only certain computers to connect. Turn off the MAC filtering for a moment and then see if the computer will connect then.

The MAC Address is the unique serial number of each networking device. The Mac is short for Macintosh.

So the Airport ID is the MAC address of your Airport card. You have to put that address into your wireless router IF your wireless router is filtering by MAC address for security.

Ask you son who controls the wireless router network you are trying to connect to. Then ask him what wireless security it us running. You can use this information to determine what you have to put into your Mac to connect (what frequency(B, G or N) & security(WEP, WPA and/or MAC filtering) it is running).

Lastly if the wireless router is filtering by MAC address someone will have to get into that wireless router to add your MAC address (Airport ID).

Last edited:
I had the same problems on 2 MacBookPro machines after upgrading to Snow Leopard, I solved the problem changing the Router Key fm WEP to WPA2. Everything is working fine now. Paolo

Back