Unable to eject CDRs/thumbdrive

faizal

Registered
Hi,

Quite a number of time i could not eject CDRs and/or thumbdrive on my ibook. The system would ask me to quit any application that's running where in fact no program is runing the CDR/thumbdrive. i need to press apple-ctrl (or was it alt?)-esc to quit Finder and relaunch Finder again. Then, i could safely eject the CDR/thumbdrive.

BTW, i'm running a G4 with OSX 10.3.5.

Any suggestion what i should do?

TIA

That is strange. If you close all programs that use files from the thumbdrive and/or CD-R Finder should let go of them. How do you eject them? Have you dragged them down to the Trash that turns into an Eject button or do you press Eject on the keyboard?

You might want to check your system processes to see if there's an app that's zombied in the background. The GUI version is in Applications --> Utilities. Or you could always bring up a Terminal and do a "ps" or "top."

I've had this happen to me on occasion. I have a suspicion it's got something to do with the column view preview pane not properly releasing a resource on the disk. But quitting the Finder almost always works.

Next time this happens, go to the View Menu in a Finder Window and turn off Show Preview Column and see if that works, or in the Finder>View, turn off Icon Preview.

thanks guys!

i have done the Activity Monitor suggestion and i have to quit Finder first then the system would release the CDR/thumbdrive. Does doing this (quiting or force quiting) often would affect my Mac?

I'll try your suggestion bobw when i get home :). I'm in the office now...on a Windoze :(

BTW, Veljo i tried all of it...drag the CDR icon to eject button and press the Eject key for a second and both did not work.

faizal said:
Does doing this (quiting or force quiting) often would affect my Mac?

Nah, it shouldn't directly produce any side effects, though the same issue requiring you to force quit may end up causing other troubles later. But force quitting rarely (almost never) causes any damage itself.

Back