Updating to Mac OS X 10.1

<p>Apple does not offer a 10.0.x to 10.1.x upgrade via the software update. When they originally released 10.1, you only had two options:</p><ol> <li>Buy 10.1 Full</li> <li>Buy 10.1 Upgrade from Apple (with obnoxious paper work to fill out)</li></ol><p>They mentioned that the 10.1 upgrade was only going to be for a limited time. I just looked at the Apple store and did not see the upgrade around anywhere.I believe that the reasoning behind handling the upgrade this way was that their servers would not be able to handle the amount of traffic from the requests. This was a very major upgrade to the system (i.e. big file size) and they were expecting a lot of hits. Personally, I just think it was a way to squeeze a few extra bucks out of the faithful; the linux distributions usually fill up 2 CDs and are always available for download...</p><p>You may want to give Apple a call or post a message to them online to find out what options you have (and let us know what you find out).</p>

@ www.macmall.com you can get it for $0.01 + $19.95 shipping
here's a link
OS X.1 upgrade
Odds are you could probably find it at any online apple authorized reseller for a similar deal (I haven't bothered to look), and probably even get it for free at an Apple Store. And with the extra $80 in your pocket you will notice an even bigger difference.

You can actually take the upgrade and remove some files and make it a full installer. I can't remember where the instructions were but maybe it was on xlr8yourmac.com.

When 10.1 first came out you could walk into virtually any reseller and get a free 10.1 CD. You could also pay $19.95 and order it from the Apple Store online.

Not sure why you all had to pay for an upgrade when it first came out.

That upgrade period is now over so you have to pay Apple for a full copy or use a link through someone like MacMall to order the cheap upgrade.

Back