USB and dual screens

Tinpusher

Registered
OSX 10.2.8
1.5 GB memory (512 SDRAM x 3)
Dual 1GHz PowerPC G4
Dual TFT monitors
Microsoft Intellipoint Mouse

I have the keyboard and the mouse plugged into one of the TFT monitors (the master one). I'd like to be able to plug my USB memory stick into the keyboard, instead of plugging into the back of the machine.

(at the moment, the keyboard doesn't have enough power to it to power the memory stick as well).

Is the only solution to this to plug the keyboard straight into the back of the machine? (in which case I'll need to get a USB extension cable).

The other thing is, I can't power anything off the other monitor. Which is kind of wierd, because the other monitor has got its own separate power source. Have I simply plugged everything in incorrectly, or is this normal?

No other problems with the machine so far (apart from "System Preferences crashing every time I try to launch "Display" from it).

So you can't turn your computer off? Only the monitor?
Monitors are not ment to plug periperals into. That's what front side usb and firewire ports are ment for, and monitor ones are there only if absolutely necessary. The Dell 2405fpw, however, has an entire port section ment to plug things in, but most users here wouldn't get it because it isn't made by Apple.

Back on topic, i thing that you shoudl try pluggin everything into the tower and see what happens.

No, I can turn the computer off completely normally.

I didn't realise that the screen USB ports were there only if absolutely necessary: I thought they were completely functional USB ports, like any other.

The only reason I haven't plugged anything into the tower is because the tower is quite far away from the screens.

Will get a USB extension cable and see what happens.

hey i've got a mac os 10.4.4. I want to plug in another monitor. Tell me from scratch what I have to do?

Back