Using IE favorites from Windows in OSX?

Melmoth

Registered
I recently left Windows for OSX (Hallelujah!) and ofcourse I have to put some old data into my new Imac G4. I have a problem with my old favorites: It seems that a IE favorite under Windows is saved differently than a favorite in IE on OSX. When I drag and drop my old IE favorites folder into Mac IE, it shows the path of every individual file, but no url is displayed or reached on the net.

Does anybody knows a tool or utility how these IE favorites can be converted or imported correctly from W2000 into OSX?

Tanx,

Melmoth.

Sorry, I'm not gonna be of any help here, but why the hell are you using IE? There's OmniWeb(omnigoup.com), Mozilla(mozilla.org), Chimera(chimera.mozdev.org) and iCab(icab.de)

VOICE - I think what Melmoth really needs is a way to get his bookmarks over to whatever browser he chooses to use on the Mac. Changing browsers is not going to help him get his bookmarks across.
If Melmoth happens to like IE, good for him. In spite of everything, IE does actually work quite well and would provide a familiar feel to a recent convert. I myself use it simply because I can't be bothered changing ...

MELMOTH - What format are Windows IE bookmarks kept in? Aren't they in a folder of LNK (Shortcut) files or something?
Netscape on win uses a HTML format file for bookmarks. If you use one of the windows IE to Netscape convertors, you'll be able to copy your favourites into a HTML file which you can then open in any browser. This favourites file will work on mac versions of Netscape or Mozzilla/Fizzilla.
If you want to stay with IE, then put a shortcut to this HTML file in your IE or set it as your homepage.
IE might even have an option to export favourites somewhere.
Its not the ultimate solution, but it'll let you use your old bookmarks quickly and easily.

Windows makes a user folder calles 'Favorites' and puts all the bookmarks in this folder (with sub-folders named after own categories) as separate files. This means that if you collected 500 bookmarks, Windows creates a folder with 500 files. The format of these files is a (IE) shortcut, or as you say in Mac terms 'alias'.

Now after I copied this folder and opened it in OSX, some of them get the extension '.url' and can't be connected with the actual website because the path within this file looks towards the local location of this file itself and not towards the url.
The rest of the Favorites are regarded as text files and shows a bunch information and url's, but doesn't connect to a website as well...

So I think your idea of creating one file of all my old favorites is a good idea actually. At least I know that I will be able to look them up If I have to.

Tanx again!

Melmoth, the Wanderer.

Here's what I had to do -- it seems that IE for OS 9 and IE for OS X handle favorites differently, or one is a LOT pickier than the other about the file format. I've had the same problem you've had... I even tried exporting my favorites out of OS X IE and OS 9 IE couldn't read them.

Export your favorites on the Windows machine (there should be a menu item for this either under File or Favorites on the Windows machine) and then take that favorites.html or favorites.htm file and copy it to the Mac. Launch Classic. Open IE Classic. Import that favorites file into IE Classic. Export your favorites again using IE Classic. Open OS X IE. Import the favorites file you exported from IE Classic into OS X IE.

Should work. Worked for me. Same thing when trying to import/export contacts with Entourage OS X and Entourage OS 9.

Back