Virus vehaviour ??? or OSX System Problem???

Stejimenez

Registered
Hello Everyone:

I Have a 17" Core 2 Duo MBP, and I have noticed that every week I have problems with my wireless internet (Airport) for some unknown reason after applying the Extreme enabler if i quit Azureos or any other P2P software wile it is downloading or uploading the internet does not funtion anymore and I have to "Turn Off Airport" and "Turn on Airport" again for the internet to work.

Also I have noticed that sometimes I do a Off-On Airport an nothing happens, no internet, So I Do a repair permission and usually get this:
"Permissions differ on ./private/var/log/secure.log, should be -rw------- , they are -rw-r-----
Owner and group corrected on ./private/var/log/secure.log
Permissions corrected on ./private/var/log/secure.log"

Sometimes Its just the owner of that file and sometimes its permissions that differs.

I have been a windows user all my life and if this where windows I would suspect virus... bus thanks god this is OSX... So I have no Idea what is happening.

Can Anyone Help me Pingpoint The problem... Is It A Virus????

Thanks,

Stejimenez

Sound to me like a software problem. If possible try the system without running any suspected software and check if the problem still occurs. Also possible is a problem with the router, not very likely if the problem is solved by just turning the airport OFF/ON.

Although not completely impossible, i do not expect a hardware problem (or virus).

Good luck, Kees

well, if it happens everytime you quit an app, then that app is interferring with the system, and is to blame, not the os, or a virus. so the simplest soultion is to never use that app again, and being p2p, thats the best choice.

It sounds like Azureus is altering the ownership and access to secure.log in order to write messages to the logfile. As a result, some other systems that need to access secure.log are stalling, such as Airport.

Sinclair is right. Ditch Azureus and run a repair permissions and the problem should go away.

Back