web chaos

Teester

Registered
Dear Mac user-friends!

I hope there's somebody who can help me out with a tip regarding my "web chaos".

About two or three weeks ago I succeeded getting my first web site up in the internet. After friends of mine pointed out varying problems with the display of the site (varying by using different web browsers) I finally talked to a support for my Adobe GoLife CS software (which I used to build my web site).
The support mentioned that I obviously built too many layers and components within my web site, so that the html-interpretation of the web browsers seemed to face more and more problems with understanding the html-codes used in my site.

Today, I started building a new web site from the beginning with GoLife CS. First of all, I cleared all of my old web files from the publish server to make sure that there would be nothing left to mess up with the files of my web content to come. Working on the new site, I paid attention about basic rules, like leaving layers out and try with a really simple and basic site. I also checked spaces in between words, tried only to use lower case letters and underscores instead of blank spaces.

So, after building a couple of pages, I uploaded these files to the web, again using Adobe GoLife CS as a ftp software. This time I didn't get to see anything, meaing that there was/is no web site at all.
So, I tried again by uploading the files of my web site through the online ftp software of my web publisher.
Now, I got the feeling that there is a number of different problems. When I type in my web site's address in the internet browser, there is nothing to show up except from the following message:

"The requested URL / was not found on this server. Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request."

Using an vailds-detector tool online, I figured that there really seems to be a bunch of problems - one being, that I do not seem to be recognized as the the owner of the web site any more. Actually the whole list of errors within my site does scare me.

I really hope that there's somebody out with an idea how to bring things to a normal level. I never would have thought that building a web site can be such a pain in the neck!

Thanks for your time and interest!
Take care,

Teester :(

So your site had browser related glitches apparently because you had a complex site, you removed it, tried to reload a new version of the site that was simpler and now nothing works. Is this correct?

Have you tried talking to your provider. Often they can confirm quickly if the problem is with a local setting or with your code.

aicul,

thanks for your attention. your tip really helped, as simple as it may sound. i talked to my provider. this sounds stupid, but i got to confess that i loaded the web files in the wrong folder as supposed to loading it ininto the public_html folder.
i guess one just learns the most from mistakes, right?
thanks again & take care,

teester

send us the URL. also make sure you uploaded to the right folder on your server. Typically the root folder is not where you put your website. depending on the type of server your site files would go in a file called 'HTML', 'www', 'public_html' . there are a number of other folders there as well which should not be deleted. talk to your server support and read their FAQs. if you want, you can also click the link for the forums free tech support above and one of us can get more indepth with the problem to help you out.

Back