what browser do you use the most?

Which browser do you use the most with osx/classic?

• netscape for osx

• netscape for classic

• internet explorer for osx

• internet explorer for classic

• opera

• omniweb

• icab

• mozilla

• cyberdog

• other

Results are only viewable after voting.

edX

mac shaman
in another thread, BigHairyDogsaid:

just imagine what would have happened to the release of 10.0.4 if there was no IE, even if it was only a beta - it would have crashed and burned because it's the most popular browser
is he right? i know that the members of this group are a small select sample, but what is most popular with us? Choose only one please. This is not which browser do you like best, it is which one do you actually have the most up time using with osx or classic?

OmniWeb is my default browser, and the one I use most often. I do have to quit it frequently because of the memory leak (using 4.1 sp10). In second place is Mozilla, because of the tabs. If I'm gonna be searching a whole bunch of sites and speed is of the essence, then it's Opera.
I only fire up IE to access the sites that OmniWeb can't render properly.

Netscape classic --> Most of the time
IE classic ---> for problematic pages
Opera classic --> for my WML testing.

Admiral

well with 16 votes in so far, omniweb is holding it's own with ie. no one uses ie classic, what a surprize. basically the field is equally divided between old and new generation browsers. I have to admit that i have switched my own preference since posting this poll. I now use i-cab most of the time whereas i was the one opera vote in the poll so far. I finally got i-cab configured so it reads my regular sites correctly. I think one of its biggest advantages is also one of its biggest drawbacks - having so many preferences to be able to customize. i doubt many people will play with all the options to get it to work for them like i did.:rolleyes:

IE X --> Default now (and problematic pages, before)
OmniWeb X --> Default before (and default if 4.1 is good)
(IE in OS 9)

Those two are the only ones I have ever used as default in 2 years.

I used IE exclusively until maybe a week and a half ago when I gave Omniweb another shot. Now I use it as my main browser, unless it runs into a page where the JavaScript doesn't work, then I switch to IE. The next Omniweb that will be released in January will have a new JavaScript engine.

i use IE all the time both on pc and mac, but one of my car sites, the one bbs i cant use IE mac for some reason, something with the security settings messes it up. other than that its IE all the way.

Omniweb 4.1 sneakypeek15

Omniweb was the first bit of 3rd party software I downloaded after I installed OSX, and it's the one that gets the most use, especially since 4.1 has been being previewd and addressed most of my gripes!

so far the results here are most enlightening. seems there have been alot of people willing to try new browsers and have gotten atatched to them.

I think the best piece of news so far is that no one uses ie classic!!

any thoughts on this big hairy dog?

I just upgraded to Netscape 6.2 and WOW what a difference! This new Netscape is the first one that I really like better than Internet Explorer. It's really fast and doesn't have problems with CSS like 4.57 (or whatever) did and it doesn't seem to crash as much or be as slow as IE 5.1 is.

BTW, I'm in 9.2, haven't had the huevos to upgrade to X yet. Hehe.

so scott, i guess that's why you moderate the hardware forum and not the osx? that was very brave of you to admit publicly around here:p

well given all the recent hoopla and Bighairydog's own curiosity, i just couldn't resist bringing this poll back and see if anything will change with all the new members.

or perhaps it is time to do this again;)

I use IE for OS X, but that's only because all other browsers for X are slow as hell on my "slow" 420 MHz G3. I'll start using something else when I get a G4 sometime, and make my Mac 100 % M$ free ;)

I had been using iCab a lot but with the recent Omniweb sps getting so good I have switched to using it full time. Now up to sp 52. It is great; really fast and the java scripting works with my banks and some other web pages that used to be problematic. It even can display slide shows on Apple's site made with iPhoto. This will be a really sweet browser when they release it.

I use OmniWeb at home, cause there I have OS X
I use Mozilla at school cause of 9 and I love Tabs
IE is only used to see Apple.com...I hate that!

OmniWeb all the way, except for right now, I'm using IE cause this wallstreet is just too slow for OW :(
Chimera looks very promising also...

voice-
I use OmniWeb at home, cause there I have OS X
I use Mozilla at school cause of 9 and I love Tabs
IE is only used to see Apple.com...I hate that!
--------------------

Just curious. What can you do at Apple.com with ie that you can't do with other browsers? The only thing I knew of was that iPhoto slide shows could only be viewed with ie or netscape. Recently OW sp52 can view them as well.

Back