What is the best OS X mail app?

nanosound

Registered
I am using Outlook Express in Classic. Anything similar for OS X? The Mail app lacks features like flagging that I like to use.

mail.app has flagging. go to the view menu and choose 'show flags column'. mail.app has its problems, but i still think it is a very nice alternative. especially considering it is the only free OSX native mail client.

I use Entourage. After hearing you guy say how great Mail.app is I would switch, but I have everything set perfectly in Entourage right now. I have it set up to filter the junk mail into the trash, send the mail from my friend Jared into the "Jared" folder and so on.:D

Dear All,

There are various email packages for MacOS X, and to be honest you have to try them all to find out which one best suits your needs. So far there is:

Apple Mail App (comes free with MacOS X)
Microsoft Entourage X (Comes with MS Office - prices vary)
Netscape 6 Mail - (Free, but a big download)
Eudora 5.1 (Free for the lite version and it very popular)
PowerMail 3.0.9 (Great little emailer around $50)

There are a few other, but the list that I have listed, I have tried. Each application have their own advantages and disadvantages. In my opinion, Entourage X is the best, but unfortunately, you have to buy MS Office X to use this application. Nanasound, as you said in your thread, you use Outlook Express, so Entourage would be the best choice. If you have the money, buy Office X or wait for the X version of Outlook Express. It could be next week, or it could be next year. Who knows? Or try the other mail applications that I have listed.

Hope the advice helps

Originally posted by nanosound
What is the best OS X mail app?

Mail.app is the best; explore the documentation and see how small and efficient UNIX apps can be. I hack through ~20 e-mails a day, every day, and have only glowing praise for Mail.app. Other programs, particularly those which are only Carbonized, as opposed to true Cocoa apps, simply do not have the stability and speed which the object-oriented environment (i.e., Cocoa) provides. In my opinion, the only way Apple could make Mail.app better would be to offer a ~$25.00-$50.00 dollar "SuperMail.app" featuring every creature comfort known to e-mail, things most users would find useless but a few would love. Otherwise, Mail.app is as good as it gets.

I use Mail BUT I miss the following features:

-customized language support (without third-party plug-ins)
-a way of managing several GPG identies (rather than only one!)
-improved options to send a mail to several people at the same time

And Mail.app starts extremely slowly on my iMac G3 500 (50 seconds!).

But since it's free: What more can you ask for?

Back