What is this "toned down" aqua interface?

glbronze

Registered
I keep reading that Jaguar has a "toned down" version of aqua. Is this true? If so, where in the GUI is it true (I don't see it in the screen shots). And also, does this toned down version make the OS faster (besides the general speed gains of a new version and QE)?

Well.. i have to say... i do NOT inderstand what people think is TONED DOWN... but the GUI in os X.2 is everything but a cheep aqua..... actually for me is a more rifined Aqua ...looks more stilysh ..and professional.. i like it better....tabs are not as big as they used to... and buttons have a lighter shadow.....everything looks way better to me..
I believe this also speed the gui as well..but i think the big part of the work is done by QE....
Do not worry... Aqua is still beautiful :)

It's not toned down per-se, it's just changed a bit.

Buttons are a bit different, but most of the rest remains basically the same.

I'd say that 10.2 is not as fast as OS 9 on my machine.

Stuff like window resizing is OK, but would be much better if I had a better video card(I have a Rage 128 Pro).

App launch time is very VERY fast, as is the feel of the whole OS.

It's hard to describe, but it just feels *better* :)

If this is as fast as Apple can get OS X, I'll be completely happy. I'm running it on my G4 400.

Another way to see the difference is to go to Apple's website and compare their new tabbed interface with any of the tabbed interfaces in your System Preferences.

The difference is subtle but nice. I think the "glass rather than candy" analogy describes it perfectly.

I wish Apple would introduce a few more color schemes to go with Jaguar. Blue and Graphite kind of get old after awhile.

I hope that there'll ever be a white-gray aqua version of os x, like on www.apple.com

It's really nice !

But a few months ago, in a topic about rumors about 10.2, i saw that there was an option to turn the Graphics Black on White or White on Black.... does it still exists, that option? or was it just a rumor that will never be true.

senne.

I can't tell the difference. They are both blue buttons. I just don't have an appreciation for small visual details.

Vanguard

The best way I can describe the buttons is that they are now flatter than they used to be. They are not as rounded, in that they don't appear to stick out in the 3D sense that they did before. It's hard to describe.

There 's no way you cannot notice the difference.. one button is 2 inches high the other is one inch hing...one has a bubble like terxture the other a glass like texture... one has a deep shadow the other does not...really ..you cannot miss it...
Anyway... on my set up..... X.2 6C106 is as fast as OS 9 ....at least ..it is to me....

Originally posted by senne
I hope that there'll ever be a white-gray aqua version of os x, like on www.apple.com

It's really nice !

But a few months ago, in a topic about rumors about 10.2, i saw that there was an option to turn the Graphics Black on White or White on Black.... does it still exists, that option? or was it just a rumor that will never be true.

In the first place its a universal acess feature, not a theme. It still exists, but since its not a theme it actually makes ALL graphics white on black including pictures ect. It also makes the computer run dog slow. In other words its not exactly an asthetic option.

Imagine a frog. That frog is the 10.1 interface example of a button. Imagine the button crossing the road. The road represents the change from 10.1 to 10.2. Imagine a trucker (not paying attention at the time) cruising along the road at 72 MPH and hitting the frog. The frog is no longer completely 3D, it's a "flatter" version.

Get it? Got it? Good.

Originally posted by Trip
Imagine a frog. That frog is the 10.1 interface example of a button. Imagine the button crossing the road. The road represents the change from 10.1 to 10.2. Imagine a trucker (not paying attention at the time) cruising along the road at 72 MPH and hitting the frog. The frog is no longer completely 3D, it's a "flatter" version.

Get it? Got it? Good.

That and the anti-aliasing was done better so that it apears sharper. With the sharper redone interface and the better text anti-aliasing, the whole system looks just a bit better in Jaguar.

BBenve,

Thanks, now I see the difference. I would have never noticed it if the two weren't side by side. To me, I couldn't care less about the change. I hope the new version renders faster.

Vanguard

PS I do need glasses, this is not news. :)

Originally posted by BBenve
Well.. i have to say... i do NOT inderstand what people think is TONED DOWN... but the GUI in os X.2 is everything but a cheep aqua..... actually for me is a more rifined Aqua ...looks more stilysh ..and professional.. i like it better....tabs are not as big as they used to... and buttons have a lighter shadow.....everything looks way better to me..
I believe this also speed the gui as well..but i think the big part of the work is done by QE....
Do not worry... Aqua is still beautiful :)

http://appleseed.apple.com/SupportDocuments/AppleSWCustSeedNDA.pdf
:p :D

Back