What kind of internet connection do you have?

What kind of connection to you have

• Dialup

• DSL

• Cable

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

callieX

Registered
I was wondering today all the cool stuff that Apple has come out with lately (.Mac. iChat Av, iSight and iTunes Music Store) all require a fast DSL or cable modem connection. What are people using out there. I know here were I am the cable costs about $45/month and we can not get DSL.
I wanted to buy some of my distant relatives an iSight camera for Christmass so that we could video conference but alas most can not justify the cost of broadband along with all their other exspenses.
I was wondering what are most people doing these days. It could hurt Apple sales especially the iSight camera.

i dont think that the connection speed is the biggest barrier. its getting people to shell out the extra $129(i think) when a large chunk of their friends own a windows box.

Hello callieX...nice to see another PA rep around here.

I guess I just don't buy the 'afford it' thing anymore. That said, I do realize that in parts of the country and the rest of the world, connection cost for Broadband may be much more than you or I pay, and for that, I do understand.

Mine is $40 a month--but then they get me with $10 a month for the super-ultra-mega-basic-cable tv-you-have-to-have-if-you-want-cable internet clause. So I am paying just hair over $50 [Uncle Sam needs his taxes too] and while I admit that this can be as high as 2 to 5 times a dialup account, it just doesn't seem to be a cost issue when you way the advantages.

My wife thought it was too expensive and let me try it for a couple of months to see if it was worth it. If I tried to get rid of it now, she would shoot me.

It's just one of those things. You just adjust where your money goes and over the course of a month, $50 just doesn't seem to be that much of hit.

But that's just me I guess,
Eddie

Vard I know what you are saying. In my case my wife refuses to use computers or the internet. I have a fast connection at work and after working 9-10 hours a day in front of computer I do not think I would the connection at home enough to justify the $50. I bring my laptop to work when I want to update .Mac or use the iTunes store. If someone has thier wife and 2.5 kids using it then I can see userfulness of it.
What really gripes here is that Verizon offers DSL for about $30- $35 a month. I can't get in my area yet and Verizon can not tell me when or if I will ever be able to get it. I do not like giving the cable company any more money than I have to.

<----- 56k@28.8 :mad:

and for me it's not a matter of cost, it's a matter of location. i am too far away from a sub-station for DSL, the 802.11b network hasn't reached this far west yet(Think of me being in the next map to the left), Cable won't run down my road because it is a privet road and there are too few people on it. And satellite (from what i found) only works on PCs
so till i move, i am damned

Verizon is reading from the same script in my area too. I see more advertisements for every day, but it's still not happening here....and not in Pittsburg is just a joke. We may be a small market, but Pitt has to have enought people to make it worth their time to get it done.

I am happy with my cable and even happier cable modems are pretty interchangable. Having to use a specific DSL modem that cost over $200 would just suck.

I like my cable, just wish it was faster--and yes, there is no such thing as fast enough!

Later,
Eddie

bobw - as a fellow resident of philadelphia, i'm curious about your comcast service. any details you can provide would be super helpful.

i've been using earthlink DSL for more than a year now, but i don't have cable. i can get it in my area, and was wondering if it would be cheaper for me to switch to cable internet/TV

i currently pay $50.61 per month for earthlinks service.

if i switched to comcast, would it be 39.99 for JUST the internet service? how much extra would it be fr the super cheapo TV service on top of that?

hm. i guess i should just call comcast.

Crash

Comcast, without their TV Cable is $49.00 a month. If you have the TV service, it's $39.00 a month.

I think the cheapest TV service is probably around $22.00, not sure though. Yes, just give them a call.

I've had it since it was available in my area, almost two years and have had three outages lasting about 2 hours total in that time.

Excellent customer support also, even on a Mac.

so,

internet alone = 49/month

TV alone = 22/month

but TV + internet = 39/month?

so then the total i would pay per month is like, 60 something for both internet and TV? i guess that'd be worth it.

did i get that right, or am i majorly confused?

Not quite. I think the base TV charge is about $22.00 a month. I have more than that so I pay more. If you have the TV service, then you add another $39.00 a month for Cable internet. If you get the Cable internet without the TV service, it's $49.00 a month.

I also have comcast here in Pittsburgh. Here are the rates. They seem higher than yours in Philly. Guess that is because the governor is from Philly

Basic cable TV here $42 a month.
Digital cable TV here is 54 a month.
Internet with cable TV is $43 plus leased modem.

Internet without cable TV $60 a month
Basicly about $100 or so a month for both.

We have cable here, its about 40 a month... It's actually not that bad when you think about it...

if we had dialup, ours was 20 a month, then we'd have to have a second phone line which plus the local charges would cost us around 30 a month if not more... It comes out to be more realistic to have cable, expecially with the amount of time I spend on the net.

Earthlink DSL. No cable access in Modesto (possibly until recently), but I wouldn't want it anyway. I've never had a bandwidth outage.

Nobody's using a T1 or T3 from a dorm room or something? No one for other yet....

About $35/month for 12megabit DSL (12 down, 1 up) and no bandwidth caps.

I'm possibly moving back to Vancouver, Canada next year and am dismayed to hear that DSL options are few and most have bandwidth caps... :(

Any recommendations?

I am shocked that so far most people have dsl or cable. I thought there would be more dial up people. I guess maybe I thoughts are wrong about this issue.

3.5Mbit/800Kbit DSL. $70 Canadian/mo.

Worth every penny. Always getting 350-400 KBytes/sec down & 70-80 KBytes up.

Back