What the hell is going on!?

I just got my 800MHz G4 and even more recently bought a stick of 512MB earlier when I started it it wouldn't start but it would just flash the network globe icon. I was unaware of this ( my sister was trying to start the compter) and then I installed the RAM it did this but went through after a while and ran fine, then it started having kernal panics when I got passed the login screen. I took out the RAM and it's started up the first time so far. Whats going on?

the ram is DDR PC2100

Panther does not like some RAM or equipment for that matter. It could be a bad stick. I would return that stick and get a replacement.

I am not sure about the Network globe. It could have been looking for a network. Did you buy this machine new? Normally, you would get the set up assistant.

If you see the globe icon on startup, that means somehow the Startup Disk Preference Pane got switched to "Network Startup". Simply open the System Preferences, choose the Startup Disk pane, and select your OS X hard drive.

As for the RAM, Cheryl is right in saying that Panther doesn't play well with cheap or defective RAM. Where did you get the RAM from? What kind of Mac do you have? Different Macintosh computers take different kinds of RAM -- perhaps your Macintosh does not take PC2100 RAM...

Double-check the RAM configuration instructions in your manual.
The ibook/Pbook G4 will take PC2100 266mhz DDR SDRAM. However, 333mhz ram will also work...

New PowerBooks or iBooks use:

Samsung - K4H560838E

Hynix - HY5DU121622AT

Micron - MT46V16M16

I've had a few cases of bad sticks of RAM...just send it back, it should be covered under your warranty.

Boot up the laptop using the hardware test cd that came with it. Have it do a system check. Most likely it will show errors in the 512M memory stick. iBooks tend to like brand name memory, and love to be flakey on non-brand name ones.

Brian

Its the right kind of memory but I think it was a bad stick so their going to send me a new one. Hopefully it'll work fine this time.

Back