What will be updated in PhotoShop 8?

RPS

Registered
What will be updated in PhotoShop 8?

What will be new? Will it really deserve the update from 7 to 8 or will it be one tiny tweak? Any links that describe it or even show pics?

More raster/vectorial merging is coming. PS and AI should merge in a few years, EPS and TIFF may too.

Hi toast, how do mean EPS and TIFF may be merged? Encapsulated Postscript and Tagged Image Format embedded in the same image, wouldn't that make large files? How would LZW fit with EPS?

That would have Quark tearing their hair out - or perhaps that's the plan!

TIFF already handles vectorial info, it wouldn't be a surprise if both formats merged for real. Quark won't be a problem, a simple XT will do. RIP drivers will be a hassle, but anyway a little revolution has to come. PostScript 3 is here, InDesign is gaining market, I'm only speculating but I feel like it doesn't sound impossible TIFF and EPS merge in the end.

BTW, the JPEG algorhythms will soon make the LZW obsolete...

Originally posted by toast
More raster/vectorial merging is coming. PS and AI should merge in a few years, EPS and TIFF may too.
AI? artificial intelligence. it is here.

from what i have read, photoshop 8 will have non destructive filter layers much like adjustment layers. I cannot wait to have that feature. the one thing i wish they would introduce is a way to group layers in non linear (maybe i should say grouping without the dependency on the layer stack) ways. i have come across some situations where i needed to group a layer with another, but moving it would break the layout. i probably could have used some masking to get it to work.

Now that you mention it xyle_one, that does compromise layouts and actually happens a lot. I have just unconciously worked around it, never really noticed it before!

aha! dont forget about jpeg 2000 support! jpeg 2000 files are smaller files than the jpeg we use now.

Photoshop 8 will also be better with Panther. Since i am not getting Panther right away, i won't need photoshop 8 right away.

Originally posted by Lazzo
Now that you mention it xyle_one, that does compromise layouts and actually happens a lot. I have just unconciously worked around it, never really noticed it before!
well, we can hope that they just sorta stick this feature in 8.0 :)

I won't hold my breath. Isn't jpeg2000 the one that infects Windows with every malicious virus known to humankind? I feel a 'BwahahahHA' coming on! (Not that I actually have anything against Windows, just one or two rotten swines I know who use it...)

Do you reckon v8 will be faster in Panther than PS in 9? I guess it should happen sometime.

The problem with using JPEG 2000, or .jp2, is that hardly anything supports it.

Right now, Photoshop has so little to find fault with that an update probably won't come for some time. I would like to see speed enhancements, though, if possible.

Back