what's going on with imac/office depot

mi5moav

Registered
So, I just went to my local office depot today and they have a nice little display of mac stuff. It's kind of cool because for the past two weeks they have been moving stuff around the store were the old cash registers were. Anyway... the thing that suprised me was that they claim to have a huge stock of imac computers??? Did they strike some sort of deal that the only place you can get an imac computer until september is at office depot? After going home I went online and checked the website and low and behold they have macs on there to.. so I check out the imac, all 3 versions and they are out of stock and say temporary unavailable... who's pulling who's yankee today??

mi5moav said:
So, I just went to my local office depot today and they have a nice little display of mac stuff. It's kind of cool because for the past two weeks they have been moving stuff around the store were the old cash registers were. Anyway... the thing that suprised me was that they claim to have a huge stock of imac computers??? Did they strike some sort of deal that the only place you can get an imac computer until september is at office depot? After going home I went online and checked the website and low and behold they have macs on there to.. so I check out the imac, all 3 versions and they are out of stock and say temporary unavailable... who's pulling who's yankee today??
I think that you need to keep up with the news. If you had done so, then you would know that Office Depot has become an Apple retailer. You would also know that iMacs are currently in short supply. Currently Apple is not taking orders for iMacs. The company expects to release new models sometime this Fall. Office Depot is not pulling anybody's "yankee." It simply entered the Macintosh market at an inconvenient time for people who want to buy iMacs.

mi5moav said:
the thing that suprised me was that they claim to have a huge stock of imac computers??? Did they strike some sort of deal that the only place you can get an imac computer until september is at office depot? After going home I went online and checked the website and low and behold they have macs on there to.. so I check out the imac, all 3 versions and they are out of stock and say temporary unavailable... who's pulling who's yankee today??

That news is no different than for other Mac retailers. The iMacs, in general, are 'out of stock and temporarily unavailable' until September. So what DOES Office Max actually have?

no you :eek:, I knew about the stuff on the web but didn't realize it was also at the brick an mortar stores. And what I thought was amusing was how the managers at the brick and mortar stores said they had tons of imacs in stock, while on their online site they have none, nada, including a lot of powerbooks and ibooks. What I want to know is why this end of the yankee says we have tons and showed me a large pile in their store while the other end says sorry but the bullwhips been cracked over your behind, sonny.

Go ahead and ask _them_, then? How would _we_ know? But to see some kind of Apple conspiracy here... I think that'd be very strange indeed. Are you in for buying an iMac just before the new ones come out? Then go ahead and _do_ so. I'm certain there are 'brick and mortar' stores which still have some until August...

I believe the wording on Apple's announcement of the supply shortage of iMacs mentioned that iMacs would probably still be available at some Apple Stores and resellers. It may be that the particular branch of Office Depot you are visiting has a handful in stock.

Back