whats the official extension for mpeg4 movies?

Fahrvergnuugen

I am the law!
Im want to author some videos and export them as mpeg4, but i dont know wich file extension to use. All of apples mpeg4 movies use .mp4 but if you save a .mp4 movie to your hard drive, and then try and double click on it, quicktime 6 says that the file cannot be opened because it doesnt know what it is.

If you rename it to .mpeg4 [i'm assuming it just uses the last 4 characters of the extension] it opens fine. This is really frustrating....

Also, is Quicktime6 the only player that currently supports mpeg4??

anybody with a windoze box want to help me out? the test video clip happens to be of a really cute girl flashing me at waterfest last weekend :)

if you want to help me out, IM me [fahrvergnuugen], I don't want to post the link directly.

Originally posted by Fahrvergnuugen
anybody with a windoze box want to help me out? the test video clip happens to be of a really cute girl flashing me at waterfest last weekend :)
Soooo...how many msg's did you get? :D

Filename extensions should have been made extinct by now.

Heck, files should be extinct.

Oh well, I don't see anybody asking what MPEG4's MIME type is

i agree, file extensions should be extinct. but i have to take the other 95% o computers in the world into consideration :rolleyes:

and surprisingly, no offers to help out yet.

I use .mp4, and they play fine in QT6 on Mac and Windows.

I don't know what IM system you use, but if you post the link, you can always remove it later in an "edit" so you don't exceed your bandwidth, if that's what you're worried about.

-Rob

Back