What's your most painful expense?

mindbend

Registered
Sorry, this is off topic and not necessarily related to OS X, but I thought it might be fun.

We've all dealt with the inevitable obsolescence of hardware purchases and had to choke on the tangy taste of lower prices for better hardware only months after our original buys. What are some of your worst bites you've had to swallow?

Here's mine (#1 is most painful).

1. $1,700 for an 8 gig Fast SCSI RAID (what's a 10 gig IDE cost now, like $5?)
2. $600 for a brand spanking new Jaz drive (never used it-still feel pain)
3. $400 for a 250 meg hard drive
4. $150 for 8 Meg of RAM for my Mac SE (hey, that was a lot of money to me at the time!)
5. $350 for OnStream Echo USB tape drive (only to find out months later that it won't run under OS X so I have to buy the FireWire version, which I had considered in the first place. Great drive, just wasted $ on rebuy.)

I know some of you probably have some real doozies.

My roommate bought a CRT iMac in December, right before the $400 price drop. That's not really mine, but I feel her pain.

When I was younger (a lot younger) I bought a TI-99/4A for about $300. Within two weeks it dropped to $75 or so.

That's all I can think of off the bat...

I am going through to pain now - just about to go out and buy MS Visual Studio - quite a lot of cash. That is two forms of pain - the cash and the having to purchase a MS product like that.

R.

My worst experiences...

Once I lost a 13 pages long document. It wasn't really important, but it had a great personal value to me. I had worked on that document for weeks, but lot it in a mysterious way. Some day the file had turned into an alias, and the orginal file was deleted.

The logest lasting pain I've ever had was back when I was using my Performa 6200 on a daily basis, a couple of years ago. It was old even back then and it crashed all the time.

nkuvu: I was about to make the same mistake as your roommate. But decided that I wanted to wait. I did, and the prices dropped.

Kris

Back