where is Java 6 ?

waiting_for_OSX

Registered
I downloaded Java 6 from

http://developer.apple.com/java/download

and successfully installed it on a core 2 duo Mini, however, the installer does not replace the default version of Java with Java 6.

$ java -version
java version "1.5.0_13"

Where has the installer placed Java 6 or, more directly, how do I invoke the version 6 javac & java ?

Maybe you have to go to the folder /Applications/Utilities/Java/ and launch Java Preferences?

Where has the installer placed Java 6 or, more directly, how do I invoke the version 6 javac & java ?

A very interesting question. I too d'loaded Java 6 (81 Mb!!!). I followed Satcomer's advice and the latest Java showing is J2SE 5.0. So where is v6 and what is it doing?

See if there's a "1.6" or similar in /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions. If so, you could (in the Terminal) change the "CurrentJDK" symlink in the same directory to point at this newly-installed version.

See if there's a "1.6" or similar in /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions.

Thanks. 1.6 isn't there. I've learned from another forum that 1.6 is not supported in Tiger. If that is the case, I'm left to wonder why on earth Apple included it as part of the update released a few days ago. A SNAFU?

Back