• never use the dock

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • what is a dock?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

edX

mac shaman
given the opportunity to move the dock, how many of us have done so? And given the potential conflicts involved, how many of us have moved it back to the bottom?

I tried to put it on the right side, just like I was used to with NeXTSTEP, but I noticed that I prefer it on the bottom. It seems to make more sense to me in a kind of strange intuitive way - especially considering that it is always centered, the menus seem to make more sense that way, minimizing to the Dock seems to make more sense,...etc.

To be honest, yesterday I put it back on the right side just to check it out again. I'll try changning some stuff around for the next few days, see if I come up with anything I never thought of before, then keep what i like and return to those things I think work the way I already have them.

I;ve tried all possible possitions
and for me it works on the left, visible.
My Hard Drives are on the right
and my menu on top ;)
Now if only I have tabbed folders like OS 9, it would be PERFECT! :D

Admiral

so far it appears that most people just left it the way it came. I would have expected more folks to have gotten it out of the way since it hogs so much screen space when shown large enough to distinguish icons and pops up too often when scrolling from bottom if hidden.

Originally posted by testuser
The command to pin:
defaults write com.apple.dock pinning end
end can be replaced with middle or start.
Tinkertool is a more user friendly freeware method.

Originally posted by free&unmuzzled
this poll is messed up as some of the questions/answers are not mutualy exclusive!
Right. I have my on the bottom of my right monitor... which is the same monitor as the menubar.

Unfortunately the bottom placement follows the menubar. I'd like to have the menubar and doc on seperate screens, but I don 't like it on either side...

Originally posted by AdmiralAK
I;ve tried all possible possitions
and for me it works on the left, visible.
My Hard Drives are on the right
and my menu on top ;)
Now if only I have tabbed folders like OS 9, it would be PERFECT! :D

Oh, I keep the icons off the desktop and the dock on the right, like NeXT. If I need to get to the hard drives, I just open the Finder window.

this poll is messed up as some of the questions/answers are not mutualy exclusive!

you can choose all that apply. the only real problem with poll is that it only has 10 options, so there are some things about dock I couldn't ask. And while the percentages themselves are not true values, the graphs give a pretty good representation of the relative popularity of different approaches to docking.

Originally posted by Ed Spruiell

you can choose all that apply. the only real problem with poll is that it only has 10 options, so there are some things about dock I couldn't ask. And while the percentages themselves are not true values, the graphs give a pretty good representation of the relative popularity of different approaches to docking.

They are radio buttons, not check boxes, so you can only choose one.

I keep mine on the bottom pinned to the left corner. With magnification off cause I hate how it looks when the icons get pushed off the screen. I tried the left side but IE doesn't acknowledge its position and the right side, the icons don't move unless they're set to auto-arrange. Geeze. So the bottom is where it shall stay forever.

What's IN my Dock?
Finder, Mail, IE, Preview, TextEdit, iTunes, DVD Player, Preferences -- Home, Apps, Text files, Music, Pictures, Movies, Downloads, Backup, Sites, Box o' Crap (Miscellaneous files), Trash

really hazmat, i set the poll up to allow for multible choices. My choices were 'was on the side but moved back to bottom' and 'autohide'. It works that way. the poll creator on the site lets you set it up that way. I know they look like buttons on my browser as well. Hey go start another poll about something and set it up to allow for multiple choices and you will see what i mean. I agree that it could have been made more clear, but this was the first poll i created. next time i will know to include directions for choosing one or multiple answers. sorry if you didn't get to be completely counted.

You guys are correct. Sorry about that. I don't see any way to change my vote. Anywhere the board allows you to do that? It should.

I don't see any way to change my vote. Anywhere the board allows you to do that? It should.

looks to me like the only way is to ask a moderator to do it. but hey thanks for taking the time to vote at all and to give feedback. I am finding the results of this poll to be very interesting as I did not expect so many people to have the dock showing nor to not have moved it. They must have much larger screens than me is all I can figure. I would love to hear some people's reasoning for these two things.

I have mine auto hidden on the left, I had to disable magnification because I hated dragging things to the dock only to have the apps shift around all nervous like they are afraid to open the file :rolleyes:

I really like this system but for the fricken trash can. I want to be able to REMOVE it from the dock and _stick it on my desktop_ The only time I manually drag things to the trash is when the files are on my desktop. Every other time I used command + delete. Having it in the dock is both an eyesore and a waste of valuable space.

I really like it on the left its quite convenient as a task switcher over there pinned right under the menubar (top, via tinker tool) moreso than os9's task switcher even. Having the dock on the bottom drives me CRAZY when trying to use it as a task switcher... crossing the entire screen just to switch apps is not smart.

I can have audion at the bottom of my screen now ALL the time, running the black bar face.

xploving.jpg

Back