Who made the first mouse?

the mouse was invented in the 1960s by Douglas Carl Engelbart, and Xerox were the first to implement there use with the Alto (circa 1973), along with ethernet, laser printers, and bitmapped graphics.

it should be pointed out now (cause i'm sure someone will eventually) that Xerox created the first GUI, apple on the other hand were inspired by that GUI, and decided that that was what they needed to do( actually jobs went back too apple after a visit to the Xerox Parc r&d, and said why aren't you doing anything with this, this is the greatest thing) and instructed the lisa team to do it. but the credit has to go to apple for creating the first GUI that didn't cost $25000 to implement.

http://sloan.stanford.edu/MouseSite/Archive/patent/Mouse.html

My step-dad, Bill Paxton, worked at Xerox and he told me they were notorious for creating amazing products but not holding onto them. The mouse is a huge example.

I remember playing two different network games on their system in the early 80's (we're talking 82' here!): In one you were an eyeball in a maze and the other was a killer Star Trek game that I wish existed today!

He went on to help create postscript for adobe with John Warnock and Chuck Geschke. Xerox had a lot of Stanford University connections.

Back