why wouldn't my DVD-Rs play on other computers?

d54321k

Registered
I'm backing up some of my DVDs. The DVD-Rs I make play fine in DVD players and my own Mac, but do not play in any other computers. They all get ejected.

What am I doing wrong here? First, I use DVDBackup 1.3 to rip the disc. Then use DVD2oneX 1.1.1 to extract the movie track (in the event of the original disc being over 4.7 gigs). Then use Toast 5.2 to burn DVD (using DVD-Rs).

I tried all kinds of combinations: both region free and the original disc region setting, macrovision on / off, css on / off. None of the DVDs play in any other drive but my own.

None of the original discs are RCE protected, so I know for a fact that's not causing the problem.

All file and folder names are in caps and all that. The new disc name is exactly the same as the original.

Does anyone know what could be the problem here?

Thanks,
DK

I tried two other Macs. They played the original DVDs, but not the copies.. Will try a PC later today, can't get to one right now.

Tested my DVD-Rs on three different DVD players. All played beautifully.

DeltaMac -

I tried it on a PC, and it worked.

Therefore, it is only Mac DVD player that would not recognize any of my DVD-Rs on any Macintosh - other than the one I used to burn the disc..

Could it be some additional "anti-copy sensor" type of script that apple put in to please the movie industry?

Not likely, most likely it's because of incompatibility between certain DVD readers and DVD-Rs, DVD+Rs, etc.

Mostly older DVD ROM drives had these sorts of problems, though I didn't know that any model Macs used had these sorts of problems.

What Macs (or specifically what types of drives) were used to try to read and had problems?

My drive is Pioneer CD-RW/DVD-R (on a G4 running OS 10.2.6)

The other two Macs I used to test my DVD-Rs turned out to have the exact same drive:
Matshita (lovely name) CD-ROM/DVD-RAM (also G4, running 10.2.6)

It didn't work on that type of drive, although the original DVDs did.

However, I just tried it on Matshita CD-RW/DVD-ROM, and it worked! Also, on another system with the drive identical to mine, and it worked too. Both Mac G4s.

So I duess it's those Mac DVD-RAM drives that one should avoid if planning to use DVD-Rs...

Back