Will there ever be another G4 (or Possibly G5) cube?

uncle_john

Registered
Whatever happened to the G4 cube? i remember it was stopped but i cant remember the reason...anyways i think if they made another one that would be awesome...

Originally posted by uncle_john
Whatever happened to the G4 cube? i remember it was stopped but i cant remember the reason...anyways i think if they made another one that would be awesome...

I'm guessing, that since the G4s are getting faster, that they're producing more heat. The cube uses passive cooling (no fans...which make it silent)....but with the clockspeeds these days....I don't think you can use passive anymore. Even the new iMacs use a small fan..

Unless you wanna rice the thing up, and do some liquid cooling....*l*

Part of the reason why it was stopped, was the lack of upgradability of it, and the price (at the time)....

Well, Apple lost money for 1Q right before killing the cube... one of the few after Jobs got it profitable again. Guess what the reason for that loss was? The cube.

Apple killed it before it could hurt Apple's long-term future. Here we have a similar situation (needed, but similar) where the new iMac is the replacement cube. It sits in the middle, has a nearly-cube-like price, but includes a monitor to make it worth it. The eMac is really what filled in the low-end slot where the old iMac is fading from. But... customers wanted a flat-panel all-in-one, so Apple provided. A tad expensive, so Apple provided the eMac. At least this time Apple actually has a real audience for these two, rather than putting the cube out there and seeing the response from customers.

What I find a little strange is that the Cube (at the time) was considered a professional machine, but that the new iMacs are not. I think the new iMacs have what it takes to be professional, but maybe I am wrong.

Matthew

What stops the iMac from being professional is the 1024 x 768 max resolution of the screen.

Most pros want higer resolutions, and with OS X, I probably couldn't blame them. The screen elements, ARE quite big....

They can't match a good CRT yet, but Apple's line of LCDs are pretty clear. A few trail artifacts remain, but I would personally go for either LCD or CRT for my video editing (whichever is donated).

I bought a used G4 cube 450 as my first machine and I really like it. To me the cube is what future computers should be. Upgradability internally limited to memory and hd and other new devices hooked up externally.

just my 2 cents...

Heath Pitts

I have a cube, and I love it! Other than problems with heat (i.e. my mom puts something that blocks airflow to the external power brick, and the computer blinks off when said brick overheats) it has always worked like a champ! Also, I don't think heat is quite the issue internally (maybe with the power brick): there are some who have replaced the processor card with dual-500mhz cards, and had them work fine. of course, they may have added fans, but I bet Apple's engineers could work around that. I too feel that this at least should have been the computer of the future: upgradable in the important things (graphics card, RAM, HD) and with enough connectivity to add many hot-pluggable peripherals. I prfer external stuff, cause when I'm not using a HD or CD Burner, I can turn it - and more importantly, it's noisy fan - off. My only suggested change to the cube would be to try to add more ports, or at least put openings on all four sides so the many wires don't limit ventilation of the heat sink.

I just have to say that I love the cube. at one point I have to buy one, just because it's 'art'.

Well, now when apple have dubble processors in their powermac why not make a cube with just one processor, one normal agp slot and one pci slot. That's enough for me for being able to upgrade. that with a 17" apple lcd.. man what a lovely combination

Back