Windows printing in Panther?

Ripcord

Senior Lurker
Does anyone here have much experience in trying to use Windows printing in Panther?

I have a printer down the hall who's attached to a server that is actually in another building. It's not on my local subnet.

When I try to add a printer and select Windows printing, it attempts to bring up a Windows network "browser", which gives me a list of machines that it's "found".

Unfortunately, it doesn't "find" the machine my printer is on, probably because I'm not a member of the domain, the printer host is in a different subnet, and there's no browse master to forward my requests to the printing host. But this is a reasonably normal config - I'd just connect to the server by name and set up the printer that way.

I haven't been brave enough to try Dave until they release a 10.3-compatible version.

Has anyone run into this? Am I just missing something? Any suggestions?

This is with 7B85, by the way. I'm just worried that if this IS the gold master, I'll be stuck with a non-working system until Apple MAYBE gets around to fixing it.

Thanks,
Rip

Yep m8 i use my powerbook 867 on my college wintel network, and it prints no problem.

Pippin - but how do you get to the printer? Does the machine you're trying to show up in the browse list? If not, how do you connect to it? I have yet to find a way to specify a print server manually, or "force" a server to show up in the list.

Like I said, if I'm not in a domain and the print server isn't browsable (which isn't at all uncommon), I'm trying to figure out how I'm supposed to be able to print!

I have a similar situation. Upstairs there's the family PC with the good printer, and I have a mac in my room connected via airport card. It won't find our printer either.

If I understand Windows network printing right, you have to find the printer server. No such thing as direct network printing. Unless you create a 'local' network IP port. But that's probably not what you're talking about. I can see the shared printer of my PC alright. Only problem is that I can't seem to use the right driver...

Originally posted by fryke
If I understand Windows network printing right, you have to find the printer server. No such thing as direct network printing. Unless you create a 'local' network IP port. But that's probably not what you're talking about. I can see the shared printer of my PC alright. Only problem is that I can't seem to use the right driver...

What?

Originally posted by fryke

You're right, that's not what I'm talking about. The printer is connected to a Windows machine that has the printer shared. In Jaguar I can print to this printer, because I can choose the windows machine manually, then select the printer from the list that comes up. In Panther I seem not to be able to manually choose a print host - I can only "browse" to one.

In Jag the print never looked right, I was hoping that Panther would work better - but of course I can't test it at all!

Back