Wireless net sharing

tosk

Registered
I know that Jaguar has an option to enable sharing of an internet connection on one interface and out another. I've tried enabling this but to no avail.

Here's the situation: we've got a G4 on the LAN that has access to the internet through a proxy server. We've got 6 iBooks with AirPort cards. The G4 has an AirPort card and is set up to provide a wireless network to the iBooks (our base station bit the dust).

Whenever I enable internet sharing on the G4, to share the internet connection on Built-in Ethernet to the network on AirPort, it won't work. You get on one of the iBooks, and it won't connect to any web sites.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

For troubleshooting: Can you make an AFP connection from wireless Mac to "pseudo base station" Mac? Do the laptops get an IP address?

Have you set all the iBooks to get their IP through DHCP? If not, do so. If you check the G4's interface with ifconfig en[N], where [N] is the interface number of your airport (normally 1), you could see that it has to inet addresses configured for it. This happens if you have manually configured an IP address for it and then activated internet sharing. I believe activating the internet sharing creates a network along the lines of 198.168.2.0/24 or there abouts. Can't remember exactly, thought.
Anyway - hope that is of some help.

Cheers,

C

Back