X <-> Classic file sharing problems

cydeout

Registered
I have a G4/400, iBook 300, and Windows XP machine, Airport (original) all hooked up between two switches, including a DSL modem shared between all devices. The iBook is the only machine that has Airport capability.

I have no problems surfing the net on any machine, download speeds are awesome, 150k+ at times. The problem I have is when I try to file share between my two Macs. Now, first I have to say that Verizon has told me that I should have a router/switch, instead of just switches. Besides that advice, I usually don't have any problems with the network.

When I file share, sometimes I get some great speeds, full Ethernet speeds. Then, at other times, it drop down to a speed of a modem or slower. IP address are the same. I've tried all combinations of using Classic or X (10.2.6) on both machines, and there's nothing that consistently prevents those drops.

I've even swapped out hard drives because I had a problem before when my hard drive was faulty, and it couldn't transfer files at full speed. This speed drop will occur when I switch to Airport exclusively too (instead of using built-in Ethernet).

Lately, I've been booting into Classic on the machine I want to transfer files from, and under TCP/IP, I click the "802.3" box. While this prevents me from getting a valid IP address to surf the net, it somehow allows me to talk between machines at full speed nearly all the time. At least 95% of the time this works.

My question is, does anyone know why this works? Is this because I don't have a router and there's something going on with the IP address I'm pulling from my ISP? Or how to enable the "802.3" feature under OS X? Anyone know what that "802.3" feature actually does and what it means?T here's no option for the "802.3" that I can find under any System Preference. Anyone know a working solution?

Thanks in advance!

I have a two five port switches, and the DSL modem is connected into one of these ports. My DSL uses DHCP, so the switch calls up IP addresses separately for each computer. I've been using this setup for more than a year, but I started having problems the last two weeks. Perhaps this is the problem (not having a router/switch), but I wanted to see if anyone had a similar experience.

Back