"You need to reset your computer"

tdemarco

Registered
Running OSX 10.2, I get a "You need to reset your computer" message when I try to put it to sleep. This doesn't always happen, but it often does. Any ideas?

t.

Do you mean 'You Need to Restart Your Computer' (not reset), if so, that is a standard Kernel Panic message. Were you able to improve the sleeping problems that you posted in June? Sounds like it may be directly related!
what is your system config? What Mac model, OS version (10.2.what?) How much RAM? Do you have any added cards installed (for example, a SCSI controller card) What have you tried so far to fix the problem? (repair utilities, OS reinstall, hardware reseats, etc.)

Yes, I did mean Restart, not reset.

I'm running two identical G4 733 MHz w 348Meg and OSX 10.2.8. No extra cards. Both have the insomnia problem (I get the sense from this forum that about a half or a third of all OSX systems have this problem). One has the kernel panic and the other doesn't.
I haven't tried anything yet to fix the panic problem. What would be my first choice?

It's probably not a valid assumption to surmise that more than half of all OS X systems are having problems. The posts you see here are just from those who need assistance in some way. I suspect that many folks either work out problems (if any) on their own, or perhaps have few or no problems at all. Some also simply ignore or work around minor difficulties - not to say that your problem is minor!
Disconnect any externals (FireWire, USB) leave only mouse and keyboard attached, If sleep works OK, then an external device is causing the issue. If no go, repair permissions on your drive with Disk Utility, and restart. If still nogo, I have seen good results with downloading and installing the OS X Combo updater (there's one available for 10.2.8). This reload process is easy on your system, but has been a general fix-it since Jaguar, and certainly won't hurt. You would run permissions repair after that process, too.
Download and use one of the utilities that will run the various maintenance tasks in OS X. OnyX is pretty good, also Maintain1. Both are available through versiontracker.com
Come back if you are still needing answers.

Unplug all external and internal devices other than the ones that came with your Mac straight from the Apple factory :D

This means even any additional RAM or keyboard/mouse that you may have installed!!!

This also could be a driver/haxie, software in general, problem... Not necessary something from Apple but other companies! Many people for example had/have problems with HP, M$, et al hardware drivers that have more hidden problems like while your Mac may work just fine for a long period of time, say for a day or two or even more, then all of sudden it simply crashes! :eek:

Try to read my signature slowly ;)

100% if you get Kernel Panics in ANY Mac that's 100% a bad software/hardware problem... Under normal conditions a Kernel Panic is something unheard of!!! :)

Back