1.25GHz G4 or not?

TheUnknown

Registered
I changed my mind about getting an iBook. The reason is that I was at school and the graphics desginer of the yearbook and stuff needed me for some help on his computer. I thought "big deal" not knowing he had a G4. When I came in, there it was, dual crt monitors with the G4 under the desk. I toyed around with it, it was so amazing. Also fun to swing the mouse cursor back and forth across the dock.

So, I'm a learning graphics desginer, and am looking for a decent machine to handle all of my everyday computer/internet uses with no problems at all. So, I'm considering buying the most cheapest one on the Apple Store. Here's the specs -

• 1.25GHz w/ 1MB L3 Cache
• 256MB DDR333 SDRAM (PC2700) -1 DIMM
• 80GB Ultra ATA drive
• Optical 1 - Combo Drive (DVD/CD-RW)
• Optical 2 - None
• ATI Radeon 9000 Pro dual-display w/64MB DDR
• 56K internal modem
• Apple Pro Keyboard - U.S. English
• Mac OS - U.S. English
($1,299)

Should this be just fine for me? I just gotta have one before Christmas!

Originally posted by TheUnknown
I thought "big deal" not knowing he had a G4. When I came in, there it was, dual crt monitors with the G4 under the desk. I toyed around with it, it was so amazing.

Should this be just fine for me? I just gotta have one before Christmas!

I don't mean to state the obvious, but by "swapping" your idea of an iBook for a PowerMac, you are remembering that you've lost your screen/monitor, aren't you?

It's just that one of the things that stood out from your post was the joy of "dual crt monitors'!

The PowerMac will obviously do everything that your intended iBook would do, but without buying the monitors (unless you've got one/them already) you've got additional expenses to consider!

The 17" (while they still last) are US$699, the 20" are US$ 1,299 and the 23" cost US$1,999

If you want dual monitors at this level, you're looking at a minimum of US$1,398 on top of the cost of the PowerMac!

Just a thought!

;)

You give valid points. But, I've already laid down the "money plan." Borrow $300 from mom, then save up money a little over time, then by Dec. I borrow $1,000 from mom, there, I should have enough to buy the G4. While I'm saving up a little, by the time around Jan, I should have enough money to buy a 17" flat panel.

Look around at flat panels before you decide. A friend just got a planar and the screen is great. That would be my choice if I were in the market now.

lol....who's your financial planner?

October : get $300 from mom
November: Ask mom for $500
December" Beg mom for $1000
January: Plead with mom for $600

Hold off until February, and you can have a dual G5 with dual 23" cinema displays:p

With the educational discounts, you could get dual Mitsubishi CRT monitors for less than the Apples.

Well, funds for monitors isn't really an issue. I was gonna buy the Mitsubishi CRT monitor($189) then buy the 17" flat apple display later. But I wondered if the CRT would connect to the flat display and work just fine?

if you are a graphic designer, at least for print, stay away from the LCDs and flat panels etc... color correction and matching is a bitch

Oh, I'm a learning graphics desginer and I know what to do with color corrections and stuff like that. So, I was wondering if the CRT would connect with the 17" display with no problem?

You should have no problem connecting a VGA CRT to one display connector (you'll need a converter, which should come with the Mac), and a 17" studio display to the other (ADC connector, your video card should have one)

I don't see the purpose of using both an LCD and a CRT though. People pay for the style and sleekness of LCDs, not for image quality and sharpness. A second thing, one large monitor is better than two small ones.

Well, yeah but when I'm working on the G4 at school, I find it more effecient to work with 2 monitors. For example, if I wanna move all of the iChat IMs into one monitors, I could. And still surf the web or work on whatever I have. Get what I'm saying? Of course, my question, is the graphical quality and the sharpness of "Mitsubishi Diamond Plus 74 (17" CRT) - Black" if anyone here has it.

Size: 17"
Viewable Image Size: 16"
Maximum Resolution: 1280 X 1024 @ 66 Hz
CRT: SuperBright Diamondtron Totally-Flat Aperture Grille
Horizontal Frequency: 30 kHz to 70 kHz

Or you could tell me if it's good enough for my purposes.

Kjetil, the purpose of having an LCD and a CRT monitor would be for the crispness and clarity of the picture on the LCD and the screen-to-print capabilities of the CRT.

Yea, I agree, but that shouldn't be at the cost of the ability to have all the windows in Photoshop you need on the same monitors. Two big monitors are better than two small ones, of course :D Mitsubishi is a good brand, and that thing probably has great colors, but those resolution/refreshment rate specs aren't too good. You'll want at least 1280x1024, and it's not comfortable to work at anything lower than 85 Hz. I'd say 75 Hz at absolute minimum ;)
I'm pretty sure Mitsubishi have some 1280x1024@75 Hz 17-inchers, if you can't find that, you should get a (or two) 19-inchers.

Well, I'm not gonna do anything heavy duty except some graphics desgining. So, I think the CRT monitor should do just fine as my first purchase(for a monitor). By the time I get the 17" I should have the program already to install on my G4.

I would highly recommend one large monitor (21" or more) as opposed to two smaller ones. I understand your concern about having a large workspace in terms of moving stuff onto the second monitor -- as I have two 17" on my G4 right now. I love it, but at work I have one 21" monitor, and it seems to me as if the 21" actually has MORE screen real estate than the two 17".

I would happily give up my dual-monitor setup for one large 21" monitor any day. Your iChat windows don't get in the way -- they're smaller and can fit on one side of the monitor, eliminating the need to constantly hide and unhide the windows. Pallettes in PhotoShop, Quark, InDesign, Illustrator and others are NOT in the way at all on a large monitor. Having the ability to see a full-page preview (and you HAVEN'T had that experience if you're doing it the 17" way) is phenomenal. To see an entire Quark layout on the screen instead of having to scroll around, zoom in, zoom out, etc. is mind-blowing and makes working MUCH easier.

I know the coolness factor of two monitors is nice, though -- my friends come over and see my two 17" CRT Studio Displays and can't believe they're connected to the same computer. And when I scrub my mouse from one to the next and see them drool, it's great! However, that only lasted a short time, plus this is my computer and what I deem "cool" is the only thing that really matters concerning it.

I would go 21". I am and have been a graphic designer for the better part of 8 years, and NOTHING beats a big monitor. I think you'll truly be more satisfied with a 21" over two 17s.

Other than price, a single big monitor (I prefer flat screens over CRTs) is a much better option for all the reasons already stated. I did the 2-monitor thing for years, but trust me, there is no comparison to a 22" cinema display. Other than a 23" CD!

Imagine if you're an artist, do you want two canvases for one painting?

Of course, you can get two 17-19 inch CRTs for peanuts, which is a very good setup, albeit visually and spacially clunky.

Another option is one of those shareware multi-screen mode apps that lets you switch between virtual screens for organizational purposes.

I'd say go for the 20" CD, especially if what El Diablo was raving about was a 21" CRT... the 20" LCD screen will have more screen space.

Back