10.3.3 exceeds expectations...

There's a new one now. 10.3.3 7F32. Installing as we speak. I'll report after restarting (hopefully). ;-)

I've written about it at http://macintosh.fryke.com/cgi-bin/macnews.cgi/2004/02/19#20040219_1033_7f32 ... Not much to say about it from seed notes, though. There are a lot of fixed issues and one or two remaining known issues (one being the missing installation info text). They're talking about a 'next build', which means this is quite definitely not the one that will come to Software Update. I hope it won't take another 3 weeks until the next build, though. ;-)

Restarted alright. Everything seems okay so far. As I haven't had any issues with 7F24, I couldn't really say what's better this time just yet.

ThinkSecret said:
The seed is labeled build 7F32 and is Apple's second widespread seed of the Panther update. In a seed note, Apple provided a brief list of "major areas of change." The list of updated components included Core OS, Carbon, Cocoa, Printing, USB, Graphics and Imaging, and High Level Toolbox.

Apple also recommended that developers focus their testing efforts on FireWire, USB, audio/sound, and graphics, including OpenGL games.
mmmh ... OpenGL ... the question on all our minds right now is: "How much fps do we gain in the UT 2k4 Demo?" :D ;)

talkin about open GL... i mentioned earlier that UT2K3 plays quite good on my machine. on a good resolution is quite smooth.
BUT jedi Academy (and outcast last year) are quite slow on my powerbook. especially jedi Academy can only be played on a low resolution. Now thats a game id like to try with 10.3.3

Academy could be slow because you enabled one/many graphic option(s) which your PowerBook's GPU cannot process without taking a performance hit to say the least... Try to play with the graphic options and not just resolutions! And maybe just maybe you may find out a different truth :rolleyes:

Game resolutions aren't always the problem ;) :D

Well, then live with subpar FPS, soulseek! :p This might be okay if you're playing alone, but playing against others in a network lower FPS means you die faster than your opponents.

Is the game using OpenGL? Then it _should_ see an improvement. However it depends on the actual code, of course. Guess you'll be able and try in a few weeks.

Is the game using OpenGL? Then it _should_ see an improvement. However it depends on the actual code, of course. Guess you'll be able and try in a few weeks.

Every 3D game on OS X uses OpenGL, unless it uses software rendering.

Please, if you ask for 'issues', also explain what you mean. I haven't had a 'Finder search field issue' in 10.3.x, personally.

My bad. 10.3.3 7F24 introduced the following:

Open a Finder window.
Click on your Applications folder.
Type in "addr", without quotes, into the Search Field (assuming you have it turned on).
Wait.
Wait some more.
Nothing happens.
Hit [return] or [enter].
Still nothing.
…
edit - This happens in any Finder window on any directory.

In 10.3.2 doing the same results in live search results being generated (a la iTunes).

Obviously nothing major. Just curious as to whether that had been addressed yet or not. I'll know myself shortly…

cyvergoober: mine works just fine following those instructions precisely. The search for "addr" turns up 104 items, though, and it took the better part of 10 seconds for all of them to appear. Granted, items didn't start showing up until it found about 20 items, but it still works (and it works in list, icon and column views as well)!

I've got to say, the Finder search is bit odd.

You can't just search within the current window / column, you can only do that if you select everything first .. what?!

I don't get that. In column view, I can select a folder, choose 'selection' in the search field and get results from that selected item. Works just fine. I guess I didn't use it in 7F24, so I didn't know about the issue. It's solved, I'd say. What do you mean exactly, octane? Or are you using a different build of Mac OS X?

fryke said:
I don't get that. In column view, I can select a folder, choose 'selection' in the search field and get results from that selected item. Works just fine. I guess I didn't use it in 7F24, so I didn't know about the issue. It's solved, I'd say. What do you mean exactly, octane? Or are you using a different build of Mac OS X?

On both my iBook and my G4, I have to actually select all of the items in a folder before I can search through them...

search.jpg

I'm sorry, I still don't get it. Of _course_ you have to select something before you can scan a selection... I'm still wondering whether your bug (I don't get it) is 10.3.3 specific or is from an older build (then this is the wrong thread, maybe...).

fryke said:
I'm sorry, I still don't get it. Of _course_ you have to select something before you can scan a selection... I'm still wondering whether your bug (I don't get it) is 10.3.3 specific or is from an older build (then this is the wrong thread, maybe...).

OK, if I wanted to search a folder called: 'Octane' and this folder contained 333 items, I would first have to select all 333 items in the folder: 'Octane' _before_ I can search through those files.

If I didn't select all 333 items, I get a blank search results field...

Back