10.3.9 --> 10.4

Blonde

Registered
Hi,

I currently have Mac OS X 10.3.9 on my G5 iMac, and am looking at upgrading to 10.4.

To do this, are there any ESSENCIAL files that i need to burn to a DVD? I have already burnt the apps as i lost those going from 10.2 to 10.3.

Anything else i need? If i select Archive and Restore on setup it should keep all my siles shouldn't it?

The Archive and Install installation option is used to replace the System-level components of Mac OS X while offering an additional option to preserve both your Users folder and network settings, so Check The Options when doing this.

My choice would be to backup everything not replaceable and reformat the drive, then install 10.4.

That's what I usually do: Backup everything that needs backing up (your user's home folder, basically, unless you save stuff elsewhere), then try to upgrade. If that works out well, keep the backup for the "just in case" scenario. If it _doesn't_ work out well enough for you, you can still clean-install (erasing the harddrive), reinstall the apps and bring back the data from your backup.

Also: Before upgrading, make sure that your applications and utilities are all up-to-date and compatible with Tiger.

Will it still keep my itunes playlists and music?

When i re-installed 10.3 and selected the archive button, it kept them...

Should I back them up incase?

Back