15" or 17" MBPro?

zoranb

Registered
Which of the two and why?
The 17" really looks too big for a laptop... no?
Plus that it doesnt have a led display (at least for now)!
Also the 17" has one more USB port!
Im a graphic designer and im not sure if the 15" really suites my needs or not and that 17" has a plentyer space to work on? Or is that justt misleading and the 17" display isnt that big in the end!

Damn im so puzzled, can i get some directions on this?

I'd go for the 15" for portability. I have no problem with mine which I use all day. If I need more screen real estate I just plug in a 19" flat panel screen and use that.

Which of the two and why?
The 17" really looks too big for a laptop... no?
Plus that it doesnt have a led display (at least for now)!
Also the 17" has one more USB port!
Im a graphic designer and im not sure if the 15" really suites my needs or not and that 17" has a plentyer space to work on? Or is that justt misleading and the 17" display isnt that big in the end!

Damn im so puzzled, can i get some directions on this?
I'd use the 17" if you don't plan on using an external display.

Eh, 17" definitely gives you more working space. What's even more fun is that Apple provides the 17" with 2 different resolutions; the maximum is a rather nice 1920x1200.

Nobody can decide for you, not even other graphic designers. Preferably, you would be in a position to try out several, selling one or returning it if it doesn't work for you and getting another. If not, you just have to be more careful about your requirements, and which laptop will fit better.

The 17" has a lot of screen space. Yes. Especially good if you're the type to scatter tool windows all over the screen. Not so good if you're easily worn out by lots of trackpad movement, though the awfully big trackpad helps to mitigate that.

The 15" has what would be considered plenty of screen space a few years ago. Bonus: better battery life and easier to tote (size and weight), though not as easy as the MacBook. Monitor doesn't look as good from steep angles as previous models, but previous models are probably still available if you look in the various unofficial channels or refurb.

As far as I can see, the main difference is whether you're the type of graphic designer to scatter tools all over the screen, or whether you'd prefer the portability. Another factor is that many people find it painful to switch to lower resolutions, so you might want a resolution at least as large as your desktop monitor, if possible. I don't mind the resolution change (I also use Dvorak or QWERTY keyboards without problem, so I'm not typical), but you should better know if you do.

Im afraid that the 1920x1200 res. might be a problem for me since im not aware how it will look on a 17" display, will everything be so tiny or not?
But i was told that this will be fixed in Leopard, i dont see how!!!!

Damn im so puzzled...

the price-difference between the start-model 15" and the 17" buys you two of these guys.

that's about twice the 17"screen (next to your 15"). a lot of pixels..
you can only connect one ofcourse, but you can use the other as an aquarium or television .. :)

but that's ofcourse not going to help if you're permanently in transit

Back