17" PowerBook

Hmmmm, very interesting jeb1138!

but unfortunately the market for peripheral devices belongs to the pcs and they seem to be really up with USB 2.0
There is no pc or laptop sold without USB 2.0 in these days.
And there are not many companies producing firewire devices, no matter if for pc or mac.

It's a pity after I read what it can do... well, guess this leads us to the same question: why are there pc-users, when there is Mac?

Originally posted by Zammy-Sam

Well, we don't care about PCs, do we? ;)

And there are not many companies producing firewire devices, no matter if for pc or mac.

There may not be many companies, but there sure are a heck of a lot of devices.

This might be a bit off the topic, but allow me just this little question:
what kind of firewire devices are available yet?
I know about discs, webcams and cams.
Never saw a firewire-hub whether for multiple devices nor for networks (you know, routers, switches...) and are there firewire-scanners or printers?
Sorry for this stupid questions, but this firewire stuff caught my interest. I have the plug but never used it...

there are a lot of devices. there was a firewire hub that was built into a godzilla plastic toy (with the ports running down the back). there are cameras and conpact flash readers and a bunch of other stuff.

go to http://guide.apple.com and search under firewire products...

Hmmmm, very interesting jeb1138!.

Thanks! I've got even more interesting info too! (I hope!) :)

but unfortunately the market for peripheral devices belongs to the pcs and they seem to be really up with USB 2.0

Actually, there are a lot of Firewire devices. Often they are the 'professional-grade' devices so you probably just haven't noticed them. Consider the major peripherals that need high-speed data rates:
1. Digital cameras
2. Digital video cameras
3. Hard drives
4. Printers
5. Scanners
6. MP3 players

How is firewire doing in all of these?
1. Almost every current professional grade digital camera is firewire. Go check out Canon's and Kodak's websites, for example. Canon has 1 that isn't firewire, and it's the low end of the professional grade and it uses USB 1. All of Kodak's professional grade cameras are firewire.
2. Every digital video camera I've heard of (and I've heard of a lot!) uses firewire, and firewire only, to transfer video.
3. Every company that I know of that manufactures external hard drives or hard drive kits makes more or at least as many firewire harddrives as USB 1 & 2 hard drives combined.
4. Failure! :) Firewire has failed with printers, for some reason. Anybody know why? I don't. Perhaps because of the 4.5m cable length limit (one more reason we need Firewire 800!)
5. Many, many high-end and especially professional scanners use firewire. Epson's most expensive scanner, for example, supports only firewire and SCSI, even though it has various USB 2 scanners already.
6. The iPod! What more must I say? Even PC MP3 players (ones with a decent amount of space) include firewire now. The Nomad Jukeboxes, for example.

Firewire has been and will continue to be very successful, especially as digital cameras, video cameras, scanners, &etc get higher & higher resolutions.

I think Apple understands the peripheral market and its directions a lot better than the rest of the industry. For example:
1. USB 1
2. Airport 802.11b
3. Firewire 400

And Apple's involvement in them:
1. Apple pioneered the use of USB 1. They pushed the rest of the industry into that success.
2. Apple pioneered the use of WiFi (802.11b). They were the first company to ship laptops with built-in Airport (802.11b) cards, to include internal antennas and the only one still (that I know of) to include built-in airport slots and antennas in their desktops.
3. Apple pioneered the use of Firewire 400. In fact, they invented it!

Now Apple is beginning to include bluetooth built-in on their laptops -- ahead of the industry, pushing the industry again. For those reasons I trust Apple's judgement about peripheral technologies. ;)

I agree with you that USB 2 must eventually be included on Macintoshes, because the sluggish PC world has gotten it into its head that USB 2 is a good idea and the PC world will bring much of the peripheral market with them eventually. Eventually, but not yet. Do a survey of current consumer scanners, digital cameras, printers, card readers, etc. and I think you'll see that USB 2 hasn't really hit the market very hard yet.

Basically I think Apple understands that USB 2 is, well, a stupid idea, and I think Apple understands that eventually it must support USB 2 as well. But I think it's a good idea for Apple to use whatever power it has to try to push firewire and fight USB 2 for as long as possible.

USB 2 is a stupid idea because:
1. Computers are heading towards the digital hub role.
2. The digital hub needs firewire.
3. If the digital hub needs firewire, and it has firewire, then the digital hub doesn't need USB 2.
4. USB 2 costs more than USB 1 (to put on a motherboard and to put in a device), and I don't like to pay more for things, especially when they aren't very useful.

There are plenty of firewire hubs out there, I looked on google and saw at least 6 or 7 different brands right off.

You haven't seen firewire routers for home networking because firewire 400 wasn't very good for networking at all. Again, can you imagine networking hardware becoming popular which required every cable to be less than 4.5m long? That's why we need Firewire 800! And that's why I'm so glad Apple has it out! I hope they have big plans up their sleeves for Firewire 800, because it sure has a lot of potential.

p.s. -- come to think of it, maybe USB 2 did have had at least one redeeming quality: it put the pressure on Apple & their partners to get Firewire 800 out.

I doubt that aluminium is more rigid than titanium, but anyway, if Apple gave it a thought than I am really fine with it! :)
It's just one of the first things I would check, if I could hold that Baby in my arms...

having taken apart my powerbook to install an Airport card I can tell you (at least from what I saw) that the outer Ti shell is not rigid at all. it is thinner than my fingernail. the inner frame is what makes this computer rigid it seems, so using aluminum shouldn't really be a problem.

It seems with the 12" they are going to can the iBook line soon. But you never know.
I would want the 17" for gloating and design reasons but i don't think it could fit in my bag pack or on a school desk. I don't trust it with the rtd people either. Still i wonder why they went with the aluminum alloy. Was it because the titanium was too easy to scratch?
I have always pondered the idea of having a laptop but i don't really drive to business meetings or give lectures to people in other states. My dad is reviewing them and my brother wants the 15". go figure.

Well, thanks to that PC user for putting all of this B.S. about which powerbook I have into perspective. No matter whether I have the 15" or the 17", I'm better off than anyone weilding a PC notebook. I think that is enough for me...

Now, who's the entrepreneurial soul who will offer a replacement keyboard for us poor Ti owners who need the blue backlighting?

Peace,
Stac

Please keep away from trolling/flaming...

And I agree with mightyjlr: Apple won't kill the iBook, and the line is still cheaper than the PowerBooks. The iBook line has been successful since its introduction, mainly because even the 'consumer' or 'cheap' line has been full featured (at least since the iceBook's introduction). The 12" PowerBook is more powerful than the iBook and appeals more to the professional who would otherwise maybe choose a Sony or Toshiba subnotebook. In comparison to those, the TinyBook is still quite unexpensive.

The real problem in the lineup is the 15" model, which now suddenly looks a bit old - not in style, but in features. Let's hope that it'll be upgraded to at least integrated Bluetooth and AirPort Extreme soon enough.

I also wish Apple would, in about six months, have again a cleaner notebook line like this:

iBook 12" and 14" with about the same specs but G3s at 1.0 GHz or more (depending on the G4's achievable speed, I guess) plus AirPort Extreme.

PowerBook G4 13" widescreen with 1152*768 or better at 1.2 GHz or more.

PowerBook G4 15" widescreen with 1280*864 or better at 1.4 GHz or more.

PowerBook G4 17" widescreen with 1440*960 or better at 1.4 GHz or more.

Best would be if you could freely choose processor speed, harddrive and optical drive in the PowerBooks, so you'd basically could order a cheaper 17" model (with the lowest available processor) or an expensive 13" model (with the highest available processor).

Originally posted by DeltaMac
I thing Big Steve J answered your first question with NO more booting into OS9 for new Macs #2 . that 12" with 1024x768 is probably not enough desktop space for what you want to do, but the 17"! looks like about 2 acres, huge :)

Apple have announced that all new Mac's WILL boot into OS9 until June 2003 due to pressue from Quark (although Quark runs fine in Classic so there is no need to boot into OS9)

Fryke wrote:
Best would be if you could freely choose processor speed, harddrive and optical drive in the PowerBooks, so you'd basically could order a cheaper 17" model (with the lowest available processor) or an expensive 13" model (with the highest available processor).

Now that is a very good idea! I would jump immediately on a 12" G4 @ 1Ghz and 20 Gb drive. I don't need a bigger HD, but I would enjoy the speed. Moreover I would really really like to have the ATi 9000 in it instead of the nVidia GForce.

Yes: Apple, let us customise! (Or let us know why we sholdn't. Heat? Dimensions?)

Originally posted by garymum4d
Apple have announced that all new Mac's WILL boot into OS9 until June 2003 due to pressue from Quark (although Quark runs fine in Classic so there is no need to boot into OS9)

Actually, if I remember correctly, Apple has said that only existing models would continue to boot into OS 9, meaning the new Powerbooks are exempt from that restriction. iMacs, eMacs, and Towers should all boot 9 fine until they are upgraded again.

Back