2 partition icons gone?

DICKSTER

Registered
Have an ext. Maxtor 500 g connected to my apple g4-os 10.5.6.
Recently had crash and reinstalled os. Had the maxtor partitioned to 2 sections-backups and files & pics. Both have disappeared from desktop. Maxtor power on light is on. Have unplugged ext. Hd and replugged. No partitions show on desk top. I am pretty sure they are stll in the maxtor but how can i get them back onto desktop so i can open them like i used to; to access the stored info? Anybody got an idea?
Dickster----------------------------------

try mouting the maxtor to another pc/mac. If its ms-dos then it really doesn't matter what OS it is however if it mac os extended it won't mount in PC. Boot from the OS x cd while the maxtor is connected and follow what EL-diable said go to Disk utility see whether is even mounting.

Sorry about shouting; I just missed fact that caps lock was on. [doing 5 things at once.]
looked in disk utility and the partitions don't show up there. I do have power light on- on maxtor. This g4 of mine is 8 years old and has been well taken care of etc; but I have gone and ordered a new Mac Pro Workstation today.Two 2.8 GHz quadcore intel Xeon processorss 2gb memory; ati radeon hd 2600 xt graphics w/256 memory; 320 gb serial ata 3gb's 7200 rpm hard drive;16x double layer Super drive. wish me luck:
Dickster------------------------

Back