"3GHz in 12 months"...should I buy now?

Originally posted by Captain Code
They're trying to make it as cheap as possible. If you really need that much ram, don't you think you'd need a faster machine anyways?

Will you really need more than 4GB of ram?
not in the next 4 years

Originally posted by tsizKEIK
considering that u even bought 4 gb of ram....just think bout it. it would be such a waste of money. just put 2 GB of ram on the freakin beast and get a new iPOD or somethin ... (and stop complainin ol the time:))
It isn't dumbed down. I believe the G5 can handle 4 GB PER processor. Only the top of the line configuration is dual processor, which can handle 4 GB PER processor or 8 GB. I am fairly positive this is the way it works.

No, I understand that, but I think for your $300 or $400, you get an extra 100MHz on your bus, 200MHz on your CPU, 512MB Ram instead of 256 (which is expandable to 8GB instead of 4GB), DDR400 instead of DDR333, PCI-X instead of PCI, 160GB drive instead of 80GB....

With all that for $300-$400 more, in my mind, the 1.6GHz machine doesn't exist.

Originally posted by spitty27
im stuck with a three yr old Pismo 400...........someone give me the money for a new comp!!!!!!

i feel you spitty. i really do.. *sigh*

for the last couple weeks, i've been trying to figure out how i'm going to get me a G5. lately, i've been saying "well.. maybe i can wait till the 3 ghz comes out" - mainly because i have no money for the dual 2 ghz right now. =\
it really sucks, and i don't want to wait a year for a 3 ghz. i want that dual 2 ghz now.

Originally posted by Go3iverson
Yeah, I've got an 867 G4 tower and a 1GHz TiBook....I think I'll send the tower to my mother to replace her 600MHz iMac and snatch up a G5 ;)
Actually, you could send it to me so I can replace my 400 Mhz iMac with a computer that runs OS X, Photoshop, and all my graphics, audio and game software rather well. :) I'd be happy to trade you the iMac, as well.

Just in case you feel especially generous to someone you don't know... :D

The differences between "slow" G5 and "fast" G5 are crystal clear if ones visits here:
http://www.apple.com/store/

and check the characteristics of each and every one G5 at a time :D

The low end model has the following "limitations":
-800MHz "ONLY" FSB
-"SLOW" DDR333 128bit
-Up to "ONLY" 4GB of RAM
-3 "SIMPLE" PCI slots
and of course 1.6 GHz "ONLY" :p

Not to mention that it has less RAM and smaller HD... :rolleyes:

Now, compare the above with todays high-end G4-based PowerMacs and one can clearly see that even the slow G5 is one kick a$$ machine compared easily even with the high-end offers of the Dark Side :D

:)

Originally posted by mightyjlr
It isn't dumbed down. I believe the G5 can handle 4 GB PER processor. Only the top of the line configuration is dual processor, which can handle 4 GB PER processor or 8 GB. I am fairly positive this is the way it works.

Even the single G5/1.8GHz can go up to 8GB of RAM... It doesn't matter if it is a single or dual (or quad=future perhaps!?) G5! :D

At least according to Apple, here: ;)
www.apple.com/store/
and here:
www.apple.com/powermac/specs.html

I'm not saying that the 1.6GHz machine is a poor machine or that it's not a huge improvement over the top G4 chip, I'm saying that if I was spending $2000.00 already, I'd throw down the extra $300-$400 for all those extras.

Like I said, I'm going after the Dual 2.0GHz myself. Just sold off the iBook to help fund it!

Yeah, now to figure out which organs I don't *really* need and ebay those too! ;-)

If any of you all qualify as a student, sign up for the $99 student ADC membership. You can swipe up that Dual 2.0 for about $2300-$2400. That's where my coupon's going! ;-)

ADC membership with student discount: $99.
.mac services for 1 year: $100.
New G5 at 1.6 Ghz: $2000.
Look on your friend's face as you show him the genie effect for the first time:

Priceless.

There are some things money can't buy. Everything else, I can't afford.

Back