4 MILLION TB "pppconfd" & "freeze

gigi

Registered
hi,
I am one of the people suffering from the "internet connect freeze" when i try to connect to the internet. for those of you lucky enough not to know what this is ...let me explain. (for those of you who know what it is , skip down to ******)

I can connect to the net with no problems the first time i connect after a reboot but when my system is on few more than a few hours and i try to connect to the internet, my mac will "freeze" ...sometimes the freeze is just a few seconds .....sometimes it can freeze for 10 minutes or more. A 10 minutes freeze can seem like forever , when all you want to do is check your email.
it isn't a normal freeze , like in mac os 9....this "freeze" means i get the spinning beach ball....all the possessor time is given to the "pppd" , if i try to open an application or file it will not open until i have connected to the net. The only fix is to restart before i connect to the net....it is faster to restart than to wait then 10 minutes +.

i was looking through my system trying to see if there was anything i could do to fix this, when a came across a file in my "/var/run/" directory called "pppconfd". the finder tells my that this file is over 4 MILLION TB (that is TB not MB). I do not have a hard drive that is the size of a small country, so i know that file isn't that big. but maybe this file is causing the problem.

My question is does anyone else have a 4 MILLION TB "pppconfd" file. and if they do are they suffering from the dreaded "freeze"
thanks
gigi

My "freezes" were pretty minor, none over 2 minutes, but I had them nonetheless.

julguribye: Use sherlock and search for pppconfd with "is invisible".

My pppconfd is only 48KB. Maybe just a finder display goof for gigi.

Mine is 884.1MB!
I don't think (and hope) it really use that much space.
I got some short freezes before when trying to connect with modem, but they only lasted for max 10sec!
I haven't got any with my new ADSL but i'm not connecting and disconnecting so much, though.

On my system this file is also millions of TB large.

This equates to about 4 ExaBytes, which does not even exist in present day technology. MAYBE the government has some kind of drive that can hold an ExaByte, but I doubt it.

It's just a finder display goof... but who knows... here's a good test. Delete the file! Use terminal to rm -rf that file.

Then, if it is an essential file and your internet no longer works, fine. Pop in the OS X installer CD and reinstall OS X. It will keep everything the way you left it, only it will recover system files, such as the one you deleted.

Now... see what the size of that file is off a fresh install. Is it smaller? Does the freeze still happen? Does it grow bigger as days go by?

-solrac-

Note, pppconfd is not actually a real file, it's a Unix domain socket (a way of doing networking via files instead the 'normal' way). If you look at it in the terminal, you'll see something like:

Code:
srwxrwxrwx  1 root  daemon     0 Dec 14 01:48 pppconfd=

the problem is Finder has problems with sockets (this has been discussed before).

hi,
when i look in the terminal is says this
"prwxrwxrwx 1 root daemon 0 Dec 18 19:53 pppconfd"

why is my pppconfd a "prwxrwxrwx", when blb's pppconfd file is a "
srwxrwxrwx".
does anyone know what the difference is ?
and does anyone know if it is safe to delete the file or socket (what ever it is), i havent got my install cds with me at the moment, so if the file is essential then i would make a mess of the system.

cause he's using GNU ls and your using the stock one.

diffferent letter to represent the same thing, a named pipe

Actually I was using the Apple-provided ls on my system...only difference is I have an alias for ls to be 'ls -F'.

Back