"...5 reasons not to buy an iPod!..."

Mr. K., I haven't used any of the new mp3 players out there in the market, so I speak only for the one I use and adore. - Have you tried Dell's mp3 player and those Mr. Van Buskirk's article stats?
Speaking about battery, are you sure Dell's battery is better than your iPod's?
As for your iPod screen's temporary problem, you should know that it this kind of hardware issues occur even on a desktop computer or a laptop. However, it's not a valid reason to agree and support and article calling people to boycott iPod.

symphonix said:
5. You want a choice in online music stores.

Am I missing something here? I was pretty sure you can put any mp3's from anywhere you want into the iPod, right?
Yes, you can. But these services don't sell MP3's because they have no DRM capabilities. It's either WMA or AAC usually.

legacyb4 said:
Guess the equivalent article in a car mag would be "5 reasons not to buy a Ferrari/Porsche..."

- eats gas
- you have to worry about parking and door dings
- the Ferrari/Porsche is expensive
- you DON'T like the sound of the car(s) under full throttle
- you want to also drive a Honda Accord

What an idjit...

That's pretty good... how about 5 reasons not to buy a dual 2GHz G5:

1. It weighs close to 50 lbs which makes carrying it to work every day a hassle
2. The enclosure is nowhere near as nicely formed as my Dell Dimension 8200
3. It would be loads cheaper than a comparable PC workstation if one existed
4. It has no floppy drive - what where they thinking?
5. Hey, a "bit" sounds like it's pretty small, right? So what difference does it make if it can handle 64 of them?

I'll give you 4 reasons myself!

They are the four 3rd generation iPods that went south on me in only 6 months. Apple was good enough to replace them all and my current iPod is entering it's second month of continued opperation (knock on wood), but I feel like I'm walking on eggshells everytime I use the darn thing. I still had to drive an hour away to the nearest Apple Store each time, which was a huge pain in the arse.

While we are on reasons to not buy things: I will also never buy another song file from the iTune Music Store. I spent alot of money adding an Mp3 compatible CD player to my car. I can't burn the song files I paid good money for onto an Mp3 CD. That just plain SUCKS! So each time I drive back to the Apple Store to replace yet another iPod, I HAVE TO LISTEN TO THE FRIGGING RADIO!

Ya, I've done that to a couple of my "must have" albums, But I had to re-enter all the ID3 tag info manually. I really think Apple is making some good moves with the protected AAC files, but I just don't think they've quite thought it through.

I mean limiting you to only 3 computers is kind of a drag too. Hell I've got 3 systems just in my 'puter room at home, that's not even counting my iBook. It wouldn't be so bad if i had the ability to make playlists using shared libraries, but that is also not an option.

Don't get me wrong, I am still an Apple lover through-and-through, I just feel a little slighted lately with some of the Apple products I have purchased. Seems like Apple's hardware has suffered a bit with the addition of their new line of software products. (Don't even get me started on the multiple problems I have had with my iBook's hardware!)

If i could turn back time I would have never purchased a 30gb iPod (or the iBook). I have a 20gb iPod that my wife inherited that has never had a single problem. There is someone at the "Genius Counter" almost everytime I visit the Apple Store, replacing their iPod. That doesn't make me feel good to be an Apple user. It hurts!

Back