700Mhz iBook fast enough to run Jaguar

CJG86

Registered
I am new to macs and I am looking into getting a 700Mhz iBook. I was just wondering if Jaguar would run smoothely on 700Mhz. Any information would be great.

Thanks Chris

It should run fine. Check the system requirements as laid out by Apple just to make sure. The main thing is just make sure you have plenty of RAM and a good size HD. I'm running it on a 600MHz G3 iMac and it runs nearly as well as on my G4 450.

It runs fine.

With 128 MB of RAM only it's slow, so get a 512 (or at least 256 ) MB of RAM more* if the machine has only the original 128 MB.

I am using the 700 MHz iBook with 10.2 as my main Mac (untill I'll get a desktop one day with a 970..). And I use it with X only, so no Classic installed. :)

* 512 MB of ram more should be 70-150 $.

And I run it with applications that require at least as much ram etc like Photoshop do... no problem.

Welcome on board ;)

Greetings from the Land Down Under :-D

I'm running Jag (10.2.5) on my iBook 500mhz and it works great. Just a few things to be aware of though, make sure you max out the Ram and HD. Also be aware that Quartz extreme runs on a G4, so maybe look at the 12" PowerBook if the budget allows.

The upside of buying a Mac is that it should still be working after 10 or more years!!!! I also have a Duo 230, and although it is only running system 8.5, it is also running Office 98, not bad for a 10yo laptop!

I'm running Jag on my iBook 600mhz. Let me tell ya, the ram helps. Running it with 128mb was extremely slow, but with 640mb apps launch faster and the system is much more responsive.

Thanks for all the replies. I ended up gettin a 800Mhz iBook from the apple store and have bought a stick of 512mb memory from crucial.

Chris

Back