a chimera feature that could put it much farther ahead than safari

solrac

Mac Ninja
Chimera is still farther ahead than Safari because it has tabs.

But Safari will have tabs soon, then what?

Chimera needs something else up its sleeve.

Here's an ingenious idea I just thought of!

Both Chimera and Safari have pop up window blocking. However, it's a pain to enable and disable it in the preferences. You have to go to prefs to enable it for sites that you want to see the popups, then disable it again to block everything else.

So how about this: On the lower right of the Chimera window, have a little space where little icons can appear for every blocked pop up window.

If you go to a site with a pop up window, it will appear in the little tray. If you click on it, it will open the pop up window. You can also right click on it and choose to delete it, or ignore all popups from the domain. You can also delete all pop up icons, or ignore popups from all domains with icons in that area. You can also set a maximum number of pop up icons for the lower right, so if you ignore say, the first 5 icons (because you know you don't want to see those windows), then the next one will replace the first one. If you hover your mouse over an icon, a tool tip will appear that shows the whole URL.

This would keep Chimera way ahead of Safari's game!!!

Well it's the users interest to have a good browser... It's the developpers interest to have the best browser theirself. Personally I don't really care who's the develloper for the browser (although I still like OmniWeb, just a bit more speed would do the job I think). But I'd like to see things evolve.

Uh. Look in the Safari menu right underneath where it says Preferences. OOh look, it says Block Pop-Up Windows, Command-K. Check things out before you type.

Originally posted by Pengu
Uh. Look in the Safari menu right underneath where it says Preferences. OOh look, it says Block Pop-Up Windows, Command-K. Check things out before you type.

Uhhh yeah. Ok.... here's another happy pill for you. Now go back to sleep sweetheart......

According to you... I would doubt we see them. Safari is a simple browser. Apple products like these are simple programs. I'm betting we don't see tabs from Safari anytime soon.

Command-K doesn't let you see what pop-ups have been blocked. Solrac's idea would be great for when you're on a site using legitimate pop-ups (as has happened to me many times) that are blocked by the pop-up blocker.

Since there are other compatibility problems with Safari, it's hard to know if pop-up blocking was the problem, and sometimes even if it is the problem you can't just unblock the pop-ups and reload the page (e.g. some secure sites, etc.) Sometimes I can figure out what's up and can unblock the pop-ups & reload and sometimes I just go use IE.

IIRC Phoenix has said feature. Whenever it blocks an unrequested popup, an icon shows in the statusbar, which you can click and decide whether allowing it to pop-up. I don't see why Chimera couldn't take over the feature, sice they are both Mozilla derivatives...

right click? what's that? ;)

Originally posted by solrac
Chimera is still farther ahead than Safari because it has tabs.

Chimera needs something else up its sleeve.

Here's an ingenious idea I just thought of!

Both Chimera and Safari have pop up window blocking. However, it's a pain to enable and disable it in the preferences. You have to go to prefs to enable it for sites that you want to see the popups, then disable it again to block everything else.

So how about this: On the lower right of the Chimera window, have a little space where little icons can appear for every blocked pop up window.

If you go to a site with a pop up window, it will appear in the little tray. If you click on it, it will open the pop up window. You can also right click on it and choose to delete it, or ignore all popups from the domain. You can also delete all pop up icons, or ignore popups from all domains with icons in that area. You can also set a maximum number of pop up icons for the lower right, so if you ignore say, the first 5 icons (because you know you don't want to see those windows), then the next one will replace the first one. If you hover your mouse over an icon, a tool tip will appear that shows the whole URL.

This would keep Chimera way ahead of Safari's game!!!

safari should also make it like chimera... where if you want to open a Windows media player file it will also... give you an option to pick the Windows Media player so you can play the file... See Msnbc.com.

I had to ... moderate a bit. Please make sure you don't shoot each others' feet while discussing browsers. Keep the thread on track, please... Also, I've moved this to the 'Nothing but Net'.

Solrac, why did you make a new thread about this when you could have posted about it in your previous one?

Originally posted by Ricky
Solrac, why did you make a new thread about this when you could have posted about it in your previous one?

i forgot about the other one i guess

Originally posted by mightyjlr
According to you... I would doubt we see them. Safari is a simple browser. Apple products like these are simple programs. I'm betting we don't see tabs from Safari anytime soon.

I hate to disappoint/enlighten you, but the latest Safari seed, v62, has tabs! REALLY! I'm taking it for a test drive right now. :)

Safari is getting tabs, and there's no reason Safari (or both browsers) can't implement that idea as well. (I doubt it'll appear in IE.) Besides, it sounds as if you don't like Safari or don't want it to catch on. Why do you want Chimera to do better? (I'm just wondering, I'm not criticizing you or anything.)

I am not against safari. I'm all for whatever browser is currently the best.

Currently, it is Chimera because it is super fast (like Safari is), but has tabs.

Therefore, (with tabs) Chimera is automatically a billion trillion times better than Safari so I am all for Chimera right now.

If Safari comes out with tabs and other improvements (such as my idea that started this thread), then my favorite will shift to Safari.

But Chimera will always be known as the browser that changed browsing on the mac forever. Before chimera, macs were a joke in rendering web pages when compared to any browser on windows. Period.

Funny, my Mac with IE 5.1 has always rendered the W3C's (the W3C!) CSS web page much better than IE on Windows... Just because a site renders better on Windows than on the Mac does not mean it is not tailored for it. If the W3C runs better on Mac than on Windows, that means Mac browsers are more standards-compliant.

Originally posted by arden
Funny, my Mac with IE 5.1 has always rendered the W3C's (the W3C!) CSS web page much better than IE on Windows... Just because a site renders better on Windows than on the Mac does not mean it is not tailored for it. If the W3C runs better on Mac than on Windows, that means Mac browsers are more standards-compliant.

When I say macs were a joke compared to windows in rendering web pages, I'm NOT talking about standards!

I'm talking about speed, lol.

ANY web page on windows (on the same internet connection as a mac) would come up 10000000000 times faster.

Before chimera, anyway....

Standards are meaningless until you have rendering speed down.... who cares about standards-compliance if you sell your mac to get a PC because web browsing is so horribly slow?

But yes, IE 5 on mac has much better rendering than windows.... i noticed that. But I'd take a PC anyday over that slow thing!

Back